Maximum Score??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Maximum Score??

by ifernbar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 am
Hi to everybody!!

Allegdly this is not the proper section to post a question, but still, due to the nature of the query, I think it could clarify some important issues to a lot of people that might get inside this section.

The thing is that I have realized that a lot of people got a really good degree -more than 700- with just a punctuation of Q48 V 48. How is that possible?
Aren't the two sections, Quantitive and Verbal, both score separatly till 60?

Does scoring Q49 and V49 means that you can take the test with the tranquility that you can still fail 10 questions in each section and still get a proper score of more than 700?

Which score would you get in the Q and V section in the hypothetical case that you answer all questions right?

Thanks in advance! :)
Ignacio

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Maximum Score??

by Sadowski » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 am
ifernbar wrote:Hi to everybody!!

Allegdly this is not the proper section to post a question, but still, due to the nature of the query, I think it could clarify some important issues to a lot of people that might get inside this section.

The thing is that I have realized that a lot of people got a really good degree -more than 700- with just a punctuation of Q48 V 48. How is that possible?
Aren't the two sections, Quantitive and Verbal, both score separatly till 60?

Does scoring Q49 and V49 means that you can take the test with the tranquility that you can still fail 10 questions in each section and still get a proper score of more than 700?

Which score would you get in the Q and V section in the hypothetical case that you answer all questions right?

Thanks in advance! :)
Ignacio
First of all, the scaled score has nothing to do with the number of questions - i.e. you don't have to answer 49 verbal questions right in order to score a 49V. The scores are scaled based on the difficulty of the questions you get right, not the number of questions you get right. Also, even though Q & V are scaled from 0-60 points each, I've heard the highest one can score is 51. That may be just for quantitative - someone else may be able to answer that.

In the end, you don't have to be perfect to score a perfect 800. You just have to be damn close...