Marilyn Monroes

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Marilyn Monroes

by abcgmat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:43 am
Because her mother was unable to support a family, Marilyn Monroes spent the first seven years of her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income.

a. her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income
b. their life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement thier income
c. her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement Marilyn's income
d. her mother's life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income
e. the child's life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement the couple's income

I am confused with the choice between 'their income' or 'her income'
Are we talking about Marilyn's income or foster parents income.
Can someone explain

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:49 am
I am with C as I do not see an antecedent for 'their'
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

by abcgmat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 am
Yes even I guessed C, But the OA is A.
Can someone explain why it is A

by bpdulog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 am
It's A or C because of the split between who's life we're talking about.

I chose A because C changes the meaning. They are supplementing their own income, not Marilyn's.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am
abcgmat wrote:Because her mother was unable to support a family, Marilyn Monroes spent the first seven years of her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income.

a. her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income
b. their life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement thier income
c. her life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement Marilyn's income
d. her mother's life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement their income
e. the child's life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement the couple's income

I am confused with the choice between 'their income' or 'her income'
Are we talking about Marilyn's income or foster parents income.
Can someone explain
Only one meaning makes sense: Marilyn Monroe spent the first seven years of HER life with a couple who became foster parents to supplement THEIR [the couple's] income.

The correct answer is A.

FOSTER parents are non-bioligical, non-adoptive parents who take in a child in need. In most cases, foster parents receive financial support. Although it is hoped that the foster parents will use the money to care for the child, the money goes not to the child but to the PARENTS.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sl750 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am
Interesting fact there, yet I find it absurd because if the government or whoever is responsible for doling out financial aid to foster couples, they might as well redirect that aid to the biological mother

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 am
sl750 wrote:Interesting fact there, yet I find it absurd because if the government or whoever is responsible for doling out financial aid to foster couples, they might as well redirect that aid to the biological mother
Typically, foster parents take in a child whose biological parents have fled, died or been deemed unfit (perhaps because of a drug abuse problem). Hence, the financial support is given to the foster parents.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by abcgmat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY,

Thanks a lot for explaining 'Foster parents'. But this required us to know that foster parents receive financial aid. if we have not heard of this practice before, I think this question would be hard to crack.