Low Numbers, High Aspirations -- GSB/HBS with a 640?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
I already know where I want to go to school -- I really, really want to go to Stanford GSB. I think the GSB program is completely perfect with what I want to do and what I want to learn. I have fallen head over heels for GSB... but the GMAT hates me. Should I even try to apply to these schools with a 640?

Schools applying to: Stanford, Harvard, Kellogg, Haas, Yale, Ross

The bad:
640 GMAT (38 Q, 39V)
3.3 GPA

The good-ish:
640 GMAT was a 100 point improvement from before
3.3 GPA was from Ivy League school while also working term-time and being a varsity athlete
Female, African-American, First generation college student
Did a fellowship year in South Africa doing community development work with orphans affected by HIV/AIDS
Work at a big-name company tech company (in HR)
Want to go to b-school to actually change/improve the management of charter schools catering to children from low-income areas

The ugly:
I really want to apply to these schools (there is no question about desire), but I am afraid that I wont even get looked at with a 640. I know that we are all told "the GMAT is just a part of your application," but we also know that getting into Stanford or Harvard is nearly impossible -- and I don't necessarily have the heart-wrenching "story" that could get me past it. I think that there is strength in my essays, but I am not sure what to do with this 640.
Now the decision comes: do I focus on the applications now and just hope for the best, start studying for the GRE and take it instead (which I feel I could do better on), or retake the GMAT? I really don't think I would go up much more if I retook the GMAT, and I would have to wait until R2 for HBS.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I would rather someone be honest and say, "You should probably not apply to HBS and GSB and save your money" than try to sugar-coat. I am a bit crestfallen already by this GMAT, so I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Is it worth applying to these schools, even if I couldn't get better than a 640? If I had to apply to these schools with my GMAT score as is, should I apply to them?
Have you or someone you know gotten in with a GMAT score this low? How did they overcome this? What did they focus on?

Thanks for your help.

by bermanal9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:37 am
GMAT aside, you have good qualifications for the schools you want, even Stanford, if you set them out in a striking way on your application. Its difficult to assess your work experience from what you've given but make sure you tie it in to your stated MBA goal. I would try the GMAT one more time and concentrate on whichever section you feel you can improve on but the jump in your last score is admirable. If you don't manage to break 680 you can consider the GRE. Do apply to all your schools with strong emphasis on your suitability for their program. Have you tried a sample admission test? They tend to be a fair indication of your chances. If you communicate your desire and determination as you have here you have a chance and that's all anybody has. Best of luck.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:12 pm
Before we get to anything else, let me say this. It seems you love Stanford. More than most who want to apply (most just want to because it's #1)! So to you I say apply to GSB. You only do this once. If you're dying to go to Stanford then you would be foolish to not apply. The worst that can happen is they say no. But what if they don't? Do you want to spend your entire life wondering to save yourself a few dozen hours and a few hundred bucks on the app? I'm inclined to think not...

Ok, so your undergrad is solid. A 3.3 isn't the highest thing in the world but you were a varsity athlete. Adcoms know how absolutely rigorous your life was in undergrad. Your fellowship is also great to note. AND you're a female and from an underrepresented pool. You have a lot of great things working for you.

Now, let's also be honest about some things. Your work experience isn't exactly high impact or amazing. It's good that the company name has pedigree, and you are in HR, which is slightly less common. But without knowing more about your role and work experience, I'm a little bearish on the raw components from your professional experience. Also, your goals would need significant work depending on where you apply. I'm not saying the goal you've stated is bad by any means - but for the schools you would be applying to you'd need to put more thought into it and adjust it as necessary.

Ok - to your GMAT. It isn't that bad. Should you retake it? I think so. But a 640 isn't the end of the world - and the 100 pt improvement is great. For your demographics, a 640 is in play. Would a higher score help? Of course - so I would say retake it and prepare for R2.

The fact of the matter is your profile is unique enough that you don't need to rush to get into R1. You can take your time, retake the GMAT, and put forward a stronger application in R2. I think that's a better idea honestly.

I think your school selection is a little stacked on the top range with Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, and Haas. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply to them but you only have two programs that would be more classified as "aligned" and that introduces a lot of risk into the process. If you're going to apply to 6 schools, I would suggest you more surgically choose schools. I would say pick Harvard OR Stanford (and we know which you prefer). Then add another school that would be more of a safety. Perhaps Emory? Charter schools are really taking off in Atlanta and that might be a good story for that program.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 pm
Yes, you definitely do seem to love Stanford! I will caution you to not let that overshadow your applications for other schools. Not to say that you will and/or that you shouldn't be a FANGIRL for Stanford, because lord knows I was for a few schools when I applied!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by blessu » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:23 am
If you improved your score by 100 points (!!) maybe you can keep pushing and score even higher, so why not retake the test? you can get closer to 700.

Followed by:8 members

by speedyb09 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 am
As an update to this thread -- as much as I love Stanford, and despite rocking essays, I didn't get an interview there (or HBS) and was dinged from both. :(

Now I sit and wait for a decision from Yale, Kellogg and Ross.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:36 am
Sorry to hear that - thanks for the update and we've got our fingers crossed for the other programs to pull through!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!