letters of reccomendation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

letters of reccomendation

by resilient » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:52 pm
when dealing with letters of reccomednations what are the main things that the adcom is looking for? Being that this is completely out of the applicants hands, how heavy is this weighted? ALso are the definite bad things that can be written on your behalf?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm
Dear Engin:

Letters of recommendation are important as they provide the admissions committee a glimpse into how you are viewed in the workplace. MBA programs are professional programs, and thus it is critical the admissions committee has an idea of how you are in a professional environment. The letters are not weighted heavier or lighter than any other part of your application; all parts are important and considered together in making a decision. You must choose your recommenders wisely. They should have worked with you for at least a year, and you are confident they will be positive in their assessment of you.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

who to choose

by resilient » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:32 pm
I am picking my current employer as a recommender and my college professor. Is that sufficient?I can also chose a few old customers of mine to write a review also.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dmagnia » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:52 pm
dude, stay away from the professor. find someone that knows you in a professional setting preferably a supervisor...I believe Lisa said it best in response to your question when she clearly stated:

"You need to get professional references from non-family members. If you are related to all of your former supervisors, then you need to ask a vendor, client, or co-worker who can speak to your skills in a professional environment."

get an idea for what they need to say and how by checking out this link:

https://www.accepted.com/mba/lettersrec.aspx

Legendary Member

im not sure

by resilient » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:12 pm
I spoke with the adcomm during open house. They know fully that I am working for family business. This is a tough one!