• Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer

last year a global disturbance of weather patterns

This topic has 4 expert replies and 12 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
peter456 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Sep 2015
Posted:
24 messages

last year a global disturbance of weather patterns

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:52 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world"s important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soyabeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year"s soyabean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenom is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soyabeans.

    Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soyabean prices to the weather phenomenom?

    (A)Last year"s harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenom
    (B)Most countries that produce soyabeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soyabeans last year
    (C)The worl price of soyabeans also rose several times years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of a similar global weather disturbance
    (D)Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenom improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed
    (E)Prior to last year, soyabean prices had been falling for several years

    Thanks for your inputs

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

    Top Member

    Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:00 pm
    Information In The Prompt:

    Global disturbance of weather patterns.
    The disturbance adversely affected harvests.
    Soybean harvest not affected but price went up.
    Soybeans an important source of protein for people and livestock.

    Conclusion:

    Weather pattern disturbance somehow underlies the soybean price increase.

    Question:

    Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soyabean prices to the weather phenomenon?

    So likely there will be an answer choice that somehow establishes a CONNECTION between last year's weather patterns and the increase in the price of soyabeans.

    (A)Last year"s harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenon.

    Soybeans - important protein source for livestock. Anchovies - important protein source for livestock. The anchovy harvest was disrupted by the weather. So people likely substituted soyabeans for anchovies, bidding up the price of soyabeans. This answer support the conclusion by connecting the soyabean price increase to the weather.

    (B)Most countries that produce soyabeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soyabeans last year.

    This seems irrelevant. The conclusion is that the weather caused the soyabean price increase, and this choice does not seem to provide a way to make a connection between above average harvests, or the weather, and a soyabean price increase.

    (C)The world price of soyabeans also rose several times years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of a similar global weather disturbance.

    In the absence of any better answer choice, this one might have to do, but really this choice does not explain how the weather this past year affected the price of soyabeans.

    (D)Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenom improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed.

    This potentially weakens the conclusion by saying something that may indicate that the weather caused a reduction in demand for soyabeans.

    (E)Prior to last year, soyabean prices had been falling for several years.

    This does seem to indicate that something going on last year caused the soyabean price increase, but this does not connect the soyabean price increase to the weather and thus does little to support the conclusion.

    There is only one answer choice that effectively connects the soyabean price increase to the weather conditions that existed last year.

    The correct answer is A.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

    Thanked by: peter456
    Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:37 am
    peter456 wrote:
    Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world"s important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soyabeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year"s soyabean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenom is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soyabeans.

    Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soyabean prices to the weather phenomenom?

    (A)Last year"s harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenom
    (B)Most countries that produce soyabeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soyabeans last year
    (C)The world price of soyabeans also rose several times years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of a similar global weather disturbance
    (D)Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenom improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed
    (E)Prior to last year, soyabean prices had been falling for several years

    Premise: Despite a disruption of weather patterns, the soybean crop increased.
    Conclusion: The disruption of weather patterns is responsible for an increase in the price of soybeans.

    The correct answer choice must explain how the disruption of weather patterns has led to an increase in the price of soybeans, despite an increase in the soybean crop.
    Answer choice A does just what we need:
    Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenon.
    Implication:
    A weather-related lack of anchovies has driven up the price of soybeans, which -- according to the prompt -- is an important source of protein for livestock.

    The correct answer is A.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Mo2men Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    25 Sep 2015
    Posted:
    535 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    14 times
    Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 am
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    peter456 wrote:
    Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world"s important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soyabeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year"s soyabean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenom is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soyabeans.

    Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soyabean prices to the weather phenomenom?

    (A)Last year"s harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenom
    (B)Most countries that produce soyabeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soyabeans last year
    (C)The world price of soyabeans also rose several times years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of a similar global weather disturbance
    (D)Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenom improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed
    (E)Prior to last year, soyabean prices had been falling for several years

    Premise: Despite a disruption of weather patterns, the soybean crop increased.
    Conclusion: The disruption of weather patterns is responsible for an increase in the price of soybeans.

    The correct answer choice must explain how the disruption of weather patterns has led to an increase in the price of soybeans, despite an increase in the soybean crop.
    Answer choice A does just what we need:
    Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenon.
    Implication:
    A weather-related lack of anchovies has driven up the price of soybeans, which -- according to the prompt -- is an important source of protein for livestock.

    The correct answer is A.
    Hi Mitch,

    Why D is wrong? Does it weaken the argument?Does it serve as alternate cause?

    Thakns

    peter456 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    20 Sep 2015
    Posted:
    24 messages
    Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:19 pm
    Hi Murray,

    Pls could u still help explain why C is wrong?
    The increase in the price of soyabeans is consistent with previous trends.

    Thanks

    Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:02 am
    Mo2men wrote:
    Hi Mitch,

    Why D is wrong? Does it weaken the argument?Does it serve as alternate cause?

    Thakns
    D: Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenom improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed.
    Here, heavy rains have enabled farmers to REDUCE their dependence on supplemental feed such as soybeans, WEAKENING the conclusion that the recent increase in the price of soybeans is due to the global disturbance of weather patterns.
    Eliminate D.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    peter456 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    20 Sep 2015
    Posted:
    24 messages
    Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:47 pm
    GmatGuru,
    Your 2 cents pls on why C is wrong

    Thanks

    Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:20 am
    peter456 wrote:
    GmatGuru,
    Your 2 cents pls on why C is wrong

    Thanks
    C: The world price of soybeans also rose several years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of a similar global weather disturbance.
    The passage discusses a SPECIAL CASE: despite the recent global disturbance of weather patterns, soybean production INCREASED.
    The global disturbance several years ago -- which might easily have led to a DECREASE in soybean production -- tells us nothing about the special case discussed in the passage.
    Eliminate C.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Thanked by: moosehead
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    peter456 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    20 Sep 2015
    Posted:
    24 messages
    Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:26 am
    Thanks GmatGuru.
    On another hand, I think previous trends are not a guarantee for future occurence.
    Would this line of reasoning be adequate to quickly eliminat C?

    That to say even if C mentions weather impact causing a drop in price, the option would still not surfice.

    annays Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    10 Mar 2010
    Posted:
    8 messages
    Post Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:24 pm
    Hi GMATGuru,

    Could you tell me why B is wrong?

    Thanks!

    RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    30 May 2012
    Posted:
    889 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    8 times
    Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:34 am
    @Verbal Experts,
    Could you please let me know whether the following reason to eliminate option B is correct or not -

    The ARGUMENT says "last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average", whereas the option B states that Most countries that produce soybeans had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year -- it cealry implies that Soyabean production WASN’T above-average.

    So, it appears to be a clear contradiction to what it's being stated in the ARGUMENT (in BLUE).

    Am I correct ?



    Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Tue May 16, 2017 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

    Sun Light Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    12 Jul 2015
    Posted:
    48 messages
    Thanked:
    4 times
    Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:01 pm
    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    @Verbal Experts,
    Could you please let me know whether the following reason to eliminate option B is correct or not -

    The ARGUMENT says "last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average", whereas the option B states that Most countries that produce soybeans had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year -- it cealry implies that Soyabean production WASN’T above-average.

    So, it appears to be a clear contradiction to what it's being stated in the ARGUMENT (in BLUE).

    Am I correct ?
    I think B is silent about price details of soyabean. It just says what happened to the production of other crops.

    Top Member

    Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 pm
    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    @Verbal Experts,
    Could you please let me know whether the following reason to eliminate option B is correct or not -

    The ARGUMENT says "last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average", whereas the option B states that Most countries that produce soybeans had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year -- it cealry implies that Soyabean production WASN’T above-average.

    So, it appears to be a clear contradiction to what it's being stated in the ARGUMENT (in BLUE).

    Am I correct ?
    What you are saying is not really right, for two reasons.

    One reason is that the answers to any well constructed CR question will not contradict facts stated in the prompt. So seeking to eliminate an answer choice by using what seems to be a contradiction between that answer choice and a prompt is not a productive way to train for the GMAT.

    The second reason is that what choice B says does not in fact contradict what the prompt says. Saying that harvests of "crops other than soyabeans" were above average does not clearly imply that soyabean production was not above average. In other words, while yes, the expression "crops other than soyabeans" could be seen as having the connotation that soyabeans were not among the crops the harvests of which were above average, really the presence of the expression "other than soyabeans" does not clearly or unambiguously indicate that the soyabean crop was not above average.

    Consider the following.

    "Last year the soyabean harvest was above average, and the harvests of food crops other than soyabeans were above average."

    Clearly the meaning of second clause of the sentence does not contradict that of the first clause.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

    RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    30 May 2012
    Posted:
    889 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    8 times
    Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:58 am
    Marty Murray wrote:
    What you are saying is not really right, for two reasons.

    One reason is that the answers to any well constructed CR question will not contradict facts stated in the prompt. So seeking to eliminate an answer choice by using what seems to be a contradiction between that answer choice and a prompt is not a productive way to train for the GMAT.
    Marty - well, I get your point in RED, but I've witnessed a number of instances in which the INCORRECT choice of an Official CR contradicts (or AT LEAST weakens) a PREMISE given in the argument. Now,as we know that the PREMISE given in the argument, can't be WEAKENED or CONTRADICTED, so isn't it logical to accept that answer choice as an INCORRECT option under such circumstances ?

    Marty Murray wrote:
    The second reason is that what choice B says does not in fact contradict what the prompt says. Saying that harvests of "crops other than soyabeans" were above average does not clearly imply that soyabean production was not above average. In other words, while yes, the expression "crops other than soyabeans" could be seen as having the connotation that soyabeans were not among the crops the harvests of which were above average, really the presence of the expression "other than soyabeans" does not clearly or unambiguously indicate that the soyabean crop was not above average.

    Consider the following.

    "Last year the soyabean harvest was above average, and the harvests of food crops other than soyabeans were above average."

    Clearly the meaning of second clause of the sentence does not contradict that of the first clause.
    I don't get this.

    Let's say, X happened for a number of scenarios OTHER THAN B -- so, the phrase OTHER THAN clearly indicates that X didn't happen in case of scenario B. How this interpretation could be wrong ?

    Could you please help ?

    Top Member

    Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:49 am
    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    Marty Murray wrote:
    What you are saying is not really right, for two reasons.

    One reason is that the answers to any well constructed CR question will not contradict facts stated in the prompt. So seeking to eliminate an answer choice by using what seems to be a contradiction between that answer choice and a prompt is not a productive way to train for the GMAT.
    Marty - well, I get your point in RED, but I've witnessed a number of instances in which the INCORRECT choice of an Official CR contradicts (or AT LEAST weakens) a PREMISE given in the argument. Now,as we know that the PREMISE given in the argument, can't be WEAKENED or CONTRADICTED, so isn't it logical to accept that answer choice as an INCORRECT option under such circumstances ?
    While what is stated in some answer choices may SEEM to contradict the facts upon which an argument is based, I don't believe that I have ever seen in an official question an answer choice something that TRULY contradicts something stated as fact in an argument. If you have examples of such contradictions, please feel free to provide them as discussion points. I would really like to see them.

    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    Marty Murray wrote:
    The second reason is that what choice B says does not in fact contradict what the prompt says. Saying that harvests of "crops other than soyabeans" were above average does not clearly imply that soyabean production was not above average. In other words, while yes, the expression "crops other than soyabeans" could be seen as having the connotation that soyabeans were not among the crops the harvests of which were above average, really the presence of the expression "other than soyabeans" does not clearly or unambiguously indicate that the soyabean crop was not above average.

    Consider the following.

    "Last year the soyabean harvest was above average, and the harvests of food crops other than soyabeans were above average."

    Clearly the meaning of second clause of the sentence does not contradict that of the first clause.
    I don't get this.

    Let's say, X happened for a number of scenarios OTHER THAN B -- so, the phrase OTHER THAN clearly indicates that X didn't happen in case of scenario B. How this interpretation could be wrong ?

    Could you please help ?
    "Other than" can be used in a variety of ways. The CONTEXT determines whether the object of "other than" is excluded from consideration.

    "Other than" can be used in ways similar to those in which "apart from" or "besides" is used.

    Really, "other than" simply indicates that things that are, of all things, OTHER things.

    Are there any crops that are not soyabeans?

    Are there any crops other than soyabeans?


    Soyabeans are crops. Things other than soyabeans are also crops.

    "Other than" can be used in sentences describing contrasts, but not every sentence using "other than" describes a contrast.

    In these examples, a contrast is made between the harvest of soyabeans and the harvests of other crops.

    While the soyabean harvest was not above average, the harvests of other crops were above average.

    While the soyabean harvest was not above average, the harvests of crops other than soyabeans were above average.


    In these examples "other" and "other than" are used, but no contrast is made.

    The soyabean harvest was above average. The harvests of other crops were also above average.

    The soyabean harvest was above average, and the harvest of crops other than soyabeans were also above average.

    Possibly you are conflating "other than" with "except for". "Except for" is always used to convey exclusion or contrast.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 lheiannie07 116 topics
    2 ardz24 64 topics
    3 swerve 63 topics
    4 LUANDATO 62 topics
    5 M7MBA 57 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    170 posts
    2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    129 posts
    3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    122 posts
    4 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    121 posts
    5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

    Target Test Prep

    118 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts