Kindly review ASAP.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Kindly review ASAP.

by rish0396 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:52 am
"When Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all employees."
Discuss how well reasoned ....

The argument states that since Apogee Company was earning more profits when it had its operations in one location, therefore centralization of all operations and their shift to a single location is necessary for the company to improve its profitability. Although the argument has some merit, it has some serious flaws that undermine its validity. It attributes a particular condition as the cause of another event, which could be due to mere coincidence or be one of the many factors leading to an outcome.

It is essential for the company to conduct an internal and external audit of its work environment to see what all could have lead to a decline in profitability. A host of factors such as increased in competition, disturbed supplies, and human resource management problems could be responsible for the decline in profitability. Centralisation may turn out to be one of the factors, but should be compromised if its costs outweigh its benefits.

The management believes that further centralization would improve profitability by cutting down costs and maintaining better supervision. While it is true that in an overly decentralised company, such measures might help in producing the desired results, it is difficult to comment on the intended effects on Apogee Company without proper assessment of the same. The company should determine if it is incurring any extra costs due to decentralisation and weigh it against the benefits of the same. The company may then choose to centralise, if the net benefits outweigh the costs of conversion.

The company should also determine if it is practically possible to carry out the intended tasks. A change in the organisational structure frequently and a reduction in the freedom given to employees might not be warmly welcomed by them and they might resent the change. The company might also find it helpful to prioritise its goals, which it aims to achieve. It may find that it is able to achieve goals other than high profitability such as employee satisfaction through decentralisation, for which it may be willing to compromise on its profitability.

The argument seems to be lacking in supportive content that needs to be established in order to evaluate its accuracy. The factors that might have lead to a decline in the profitability should be determined and the pros and cons of centralisation need to be determined as well. The organisation needs to make an informed choice considering all the essential information as a frequent change in the structure will definitely do more harm than benefit.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:02 pm
Hello rish0396,

I hope that these comments help as you prepare for the exam.

Writing: There are a few typos (increased in competition, for example) that I think you could fix if you saved a few minutes to read through your work before submitting. You also use commas a lot! Make sure not to overuse them in your sentences. I think you mean "led to a decline" instead of "lead to a decline" in your final paragraph.

Structure: Great job reaching five paragraphs in your response. I think that you could add a little more detail to your body paragraphs, but otherwise you have a great base for your AWA prep.

Arguments/Examples: I liked the examples you found to undermine the author's reasoning, and I think that you clearly understood the author's argument.

Suggestions for Improvement: The writing errors were the biggest issue with this response, but the rest of your response was in pretty good shape. Spend a little time beefing up your body paragraphs, and reserve a few minutes to check for errors. I'd give this essay a 4-5, but with some practice you'll reach a top score.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying