Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Kindly evaluate my profile .

by Rockstaaa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm
Hey there ,

I am an Indian male 28years old .
* Xth from CBSE : 72%
* XIIth from Tamil Nadu State board : 75%
* Did my B.com from University of Madras :6.25 cgpa on 10

* Worked as assistant analyst in a Shared service center for a top consulting company for 7months .

* after I left , I had typhoid for 2andhalf months . (have bloodtest reports to prove that). And also had problems related to the back for a few months (have X-ray and doctors prescriptions)
Then joined Dad in his business . Its not a big business but there has been increase in turnover after I joined .
Worked in business for 1year .

* After that did my Msc.Economics from Madras school of economics . cgpa: 8.5 on 10
Was in the top 20% of the college.

* After that worked as Business analyst in a company for 3years .

Extra curricular activities :

* Part time volunteer at an NGO 2years . Our main activity was to teach poor people who couldn't afford proper schooling .
* Published a few papers on topics related to economics in a few college journals .

GMAT score: 680

MBA Goals:
* Why MBA ?
Well I was working as a Business Analyst for quite sometime and I am from economics backgroud . I was fascinated how a business reacts to the economics reforms and the overall economy of a country . And that got me interested in business as a whole and now I want to gain knowledge and refine myself in business aspects .

*Goals?
Short term : get inside business consulting
Long Term: have a company/Business of my own .

Targeting Schools

Well I have read over a 100 profiles in this section and see everyone from India is from IIT and have magnificent and outstanding profiles . I wanted to apply for
Warwick Business school
Indian Business school
Nanyang business school
IMD (lol this is a bit tooo farfetched)
University of cambridge

But after I saw the profiles I am in a dilemma of which school should I target now .
Would like your help in knowing which schools in the above I have a chance and if not these which other schools can I apply ? (fulltime one year programs)

Requesting ,

Rockstaaa...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for your post and for sharing a good deal of your profile. It sounds like you have a fairly average profile for some of the schools you mentioned, with yes IMD being a pretty big stretch, and even ISB being a bit challenging. Best chances on your list would be Warwick, and Nanyang.

Keep in mind that the admissions decisions are not made solely on the stats and quantitative factors; much of the decision is based on the qualitative/personal factors, which are showcased in your essays, recommendations, interview. The schools want to know who YOU are, past, present and future.... they want to know about your specific work experiences, skills and traits... and what you'll bring to the program. They want to know what you will do with the MBA, why you need it, how you envision your future career. They want to know why YOU should be admitted over other similarly-qualified applicants, so think carefully through all of those pieces as you prepare your applications.

Good luck and let us know if you have other q's!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Rockstaaa » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 am
Thank you Jennifer for you reply and taking out time for viewing my profile .

Would ESADE also be a stretch for me ?
And I wanted to know if doing the masters in economics was a mistake ? cause I have a younger sister and even she is planning on doing the same . even her end goal is an MBA .

Asking ,

Rockstaaa

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm
Hi there--

I think ESADE would be within reach, with strong essays/recommendations/interview.

As for the Masters in Economics, I wouldn't say it was a mistake per se....it does show the MBA admissions committee that you can handle the academic nature of the program. But if you were going back in time to decide if you should do it or not, or in your sister's case.... I wouldn't worry about it in terms of MBA admissions BUT you have to focus on the ultimate jobs/career you would envision and ask yourself whether that degree is necessary or if an MBA would be sufficient. If you are looking for a very economics-focused job, then perhaps it is a strength. Otherwise, an MBA can open a lot of doors and cover a variety of business and management topics, especially from a well known, reputable program. Hope that helps!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders