Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Kellogg Video Questions

This topic has 13 member replies
Mary1288 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Kellogg Video Questions Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 pm
Hi! Do you know what type of questions are going to be in the Kellogg video essay? Are the questions similar to the ones we could get in the interview or are they more personal questions to get to know the candidate's personality?
Has somebody already done the kellogg video essay?

thanks

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Aditya_90 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm
Hello Mary1288,

You've probably finished your video essay by now, but thought I'll share my experience here anyway.

The question I was asked was: What is one thing you've always wanted to try?

You get 90 seconds to think, after which recording starts automatically. Then you get 90 seconds to talk, after which recording stops automatically.

I know of another person who got asked: What is one piece of technology you can't live without?

Pretty much casual stuff, just to know how you converse.

PS: You get a chance to see your recording, before uploading. If you like it, you go ahead. Otherwise you can "redo", which means this recording is deleted. A new question is asked, and you do the same drill again. You can three total chances to do this.

josbilou Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
16 messages
Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 am
Thanks for this, Aditya. I'm not an applicant anymore but people are talking about this new tool and wondering how it works and you've given them a good idea of what to expect. You may call it 'casual stuff' but I'd like to add that you can and should prepare for this in the same way you prepare for the face-to-face interview. Practice answering spontaneous questions from your friends and learning to speak without pauses. You have to answer the question and get to the point (your point) quickly. Think of it as if you were speaking live at a Q&A with a large audience. Except here, you do have a second and even third chance to score. It's very fair.

Aditya_90 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 pm
Yes, I do agree that any preparation for this will be really helpful. Another thing I wanted to mention was that I had to try 3 different PC's before I finally got one in which the VIdeo Essay Software worked with the audio. So try out the Video Essay part in advance, don't leave it till the last minute or it'll cause unnecessary anxiety.

Josbilou, just out of curiosity, have you submitted your Kellogg app or decided not to apply? Which Schools are you finally applying to?

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe Just gettin' started!
Posted:
24 messages
Test Date:
08/22/2010
GMAT Score:
Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:26 am
Kellogg stated in the past that the questions would be personal in nature.
If you know your story, you should be able to answer pretty easily.
It could actually even be fun (in any case, pretend that it is, and smile when answering).

For what it's worth, Kyle Watkins wrote a post about the video question:
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/analyzing-the-applications-kelloggs-video-question/

It should help demystify the exercise.

Good luck!

www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mba-matching-algorithm/

josbilou Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
16 messages
Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm
Aditya_90 wrote:
Yes, I do agree that any preparation for this will be really helpful. Another thing I wanted to mention was that I had to try 3 different PC's before I finally got one in which the VIdeo Essay Software worked with the audio. So try out the Video Essay part in advance, don't leave it till the last minute or it'll cause unnecessary anxiety.

Josbilou, just out of curiosity, have you submitted your Kellogg app or decided not to apply? Which Schools are you finally applying to?
I'm matriculating from Sloan this year.

ks.3387 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm
Aditya_90 I had a question regarding the Kellogg Video Essay process.

If I decide that my first attempt is not good enough, will I have to complete my second attempt there and then or will I have an option of going back to the application and retaking the video essay in a different login session (maybe a day later)?

Thanks

Posted:
24 messages
Test Date:
08/22/2010
GMAT Score:
Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:48 pm
Hi ks.3387,

Apparently you can record your essay and then complete your second attempt in a different session.

Basically, save your recording, think about it, and if you're unhappy just come back to the video essay section of your online application. The site will inform you that you have two more attempts remaining, and you will be able to delete your first recording and start over.

You definitely can log out and log in later. FYI, you will also get a new test recording.

I hope this helps.

Vincent

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mba-matching-algorithm/

Thanked by: ks.3387
Posted:
3 messages
Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 pm
Hi Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for!

Regards

Posted:
24 messages
Test Date:
08/22/2010
GMAT Score:
Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Glad I was able to help.

A quick note: the video essay recording system can be quite buggy.
It took some people numerous attempts to be able to record anything, and I know someone who kept receiving a "connection failed" error message.

With traffic increasing as we get closer to Kellogg's deadline, I would not expect things to improve drastically (but I sincerely hope I'm wrong).

Hence my recommendation:
1. Try as hard as you can to get your recording right in one session, in case you cannot log in later on.
2. If you want to practice, just use sample questions (we have gathered 8 of them so far)and use a software such as Windows Movie Maker or iMovie to record yourself. It's quite a safe option in my opinion.

Best of luck!

Posted:
3 messages
Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 pm
Thanks once again Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe

Will keep all this in mind for sure.

Regards

jayanth.madhav Just gettin' started!
Posted:
1 messages
Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 am
I'm facing technical issues with the video essay upload too. In the first one there was a lag between the camera and the on screen timer and the first 5 seconds never got recorded. My second essay has been uploaded but when I try to review it, it says "Video not found / access denied".

When I called the admissions office, they just waived the essay component and said this wouldn't affect my candidacy.

Anyone else facing such issues? Check out http://admit1mba.com/2013/10/kellogg-mba-video-essay.html

In spite of Kellogg's assurance I'm still worried if this waiver is going to affect my application?

blessu Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
23 messages
Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm
I bet many Kellogg candidates had technical problems with this, I just hope Kellogg would be fair about it. What other questions did they ask in the video section?

jainpiyushjain Rising GMAT Star
Posted:
44 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Test Date:
9 July 2013
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 am
To prepare for the video essay component, I compiled actual Kellogg video essay questions from different forums. You have three attempts and the questions changes with every attempt. The 22 questions can be found on my blog here - http://piyushj.com/2014/01/education/kellogg-video-essay-questions-real-question-list/
Good luck

Best Conversation Starters

1 shibsriz@gmail.com 32 topics
2 abhasjha 31 topics
3 phanikpk 20 topics
4 prernamalhotra 13 topics
5 vipulgoyal 11 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

167 posts