Johnson is on firm ground

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

Johnson is on firm ground

by kvcpk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:19 pm
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinson's poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnson's own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinson's often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

Which of the following best summarizes the author's main point?

(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson's early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.
(B) Johnson's use of the dash in his text of Dickinson's poetry misleads readers about the poet's intentions.
(C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions.
(D) Although Johnson's attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson's poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.
(E) Dickinson's editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts.
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhigang » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:51 am
kvcpk wrote:Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinson's poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnson's own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinson's often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson's early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions. -- Restates the first sentence in the argument.
(B) Johnson's use of the dash in his text of Dickinson's poetry misleads readers about the poet's intentions. - This is indicated by the last sentence which is highlighted.
(C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions. -- not mentioned anywhere. that Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published..out of scope
(D) Although Johnson's attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson's poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness. - this was tempting, but i eliminated it because of the word "well-meaning" which is nowhere implied in the argument.
(E) Dickinson's editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts.--ignored this on the basis that it is never mentioned that Johnson was also an editor and also on the basis of the word "handwritten"
IMO B.

by SeemaSkl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:48 pm
IMO A

GMAT Score:770

by abhi84v » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:29 pm
Initially I must admit I fell for A.

However, the argument states that Johnson's work is "more faithful" and hence cannot be "guilty of equally serious distortions"

With the lack of any other possible candidate, I reckon I will have to settle for B

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Shawshank » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:13 pm
IMO -- B
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:24 pm
IMO A
Although I am confused with the usage : equally serious distortions

B : It can be a inference point but not the main point of the argument.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:31 pm
IMO A..

but not sure
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 pm
I also chose A. But OA is B.

Legendary Member

by paes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm
kvcpk wrote:I also chose A. But OA is B.
I have seen my main point/inference problems where the problem maker confuses main point with inferece point or vice-versa..
I hope this is not an OG problem.
Because in all the OG problems, there is clear difference between main point and inference answers.

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:24 pm
paes wrote:
kvcpk wrote:I also chose A. But OA is B.
I have seen my main point/inference problems where the problem maker confuses main point with inferece point or vice-versa..
I hope this is not an OG problem.
Because in all the OG problems, there is clear difference between main point and inference answers.
This is from 1000 CR

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:41 pm
Ya I agree that A is main point and not interference.

But no other option seems right.

Experts please intervene.
--------
Ankur mittal

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jeon1958 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:20 pm
abhigang wrote:
kvcpk wrote:Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinson's poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnson's own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinson's often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson's early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions. -- Restates the first sentence in the argument.
(B) Johnson's use of the dash in his text of Dickinson's poetry misleads readers about the poet's intentions. - This is indicated by the last sentence which is highlighted.
(C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions. -- not mentioned anywhere. that Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published..out of scope
(D) Although Johnson's attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson's poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness. - this was tempting, but i eliminated it because of the word "well-meaning" which is nowhere implied in the argument.
(E) Dickinson's editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts.--ignored this on the basis that it is never mentioned that Johnson was also an editor and also on the basis of the word "handwritten"
IMO B.
"Dickinson surely never expected to see in print.... when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all."
Doesn't this imply that Dickinson never intended her work to be published? Which is also why editing it would inevitably lead to issues regarding her intentions. Therefore, shouldn't the answer be "C"?