IS doing LSAT stuff important for getting Stronger Verbal?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Hi Guys,

I am going to reappear for GMAT. As i have read in many debriefs, many test takers have done LSAT materials and scored higher in GMAT Verbal.

Is LSAT on the same frequency as GMAT verbal i?

I am planning my study plan and just wanted to be sure before placing LSAT in the schedule.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Raunek

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:01 am
Its not really needed. The LSAT stuff is harder, so if you run out of materials and want to go through something that would be almost all 700-800 level questions, then I would recommend it.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 am
raunekk wrote:Hi Guys,

I am going to reappear for GMAT. As i have read in many debriefs, many test takers have done LSAT materials and scored higher in GMAT Verbal.

I am planning my study plan and just wanted to be sure before placing LSAT in the schedule.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Raunek
Man, I thought u have " Beat the Gmat "..Anyways..coming to ur query, LSAT Material are very much needed for GMAT.

1. Gives u a " Extra edge" for prep
2. Makes ur mind finetuned to the lines of GMAT CR &RC
3. LSAT RC are damn tuf & once if u can sail thru them , then u GMAT RC is cakewalk.
4. In my Opinion, out of 25 CR in LSAT if u can get 21/22 correct , then u can achieve a target of 95% level accuracy in Real GMAT. I have tried it out personally & even TestLuv( My Mentor) has suggested me for LSAT Prep for CR &RC.
5.U can look in to my olded posts( say 100-400) , they are exclusively from LSAT.
6. Last but not least, LSAT grills our concentration levels which is inline with GMAT Prep becox of its Knitty-Gritty way of asking things

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:26 am
@gmatmachoman

Beat the gmat? Yes i almost had... alas!!! "almost" :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks in advance

Regards

Raunek
welcome raunek, nice to see you back in action!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:18 pm
I think there are great LSAT questions that can be used as extra practice, but only if you have exhausted all the GMAT ones. Some question types are not present in the GMAT, for example, legal or philosophical RC's. Difficult LSAT CRs tend to be about emulating a line of reasoning or a fallacy, a skill rarely tested in the GMAT
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm
iamcste wrote:

Thanks in advance

Regards

Raunek
HAhaha..that was a nice welcome message!!!

welcome raunek, nice to see you back in action!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mar1nov » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:50 pm
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with the LSAT. I prepared for it for a few months using Powerscore and Kaplan, and following a few weeks of SC, I scored in the 97% on one of the Kaplan CATs. The GMAT tests skills far more in the verbal section than in the quant. I am a foreign national, and considering that I did not have the verbal skills to score that high, the LSAT gave me a far more comprehensive preparation to improve my skills. The LSAT is just much more technical. Even if you never see parallel reasoning in the GMAT, try to study it because it will develop your analytical skills. If you master easy to medium difficulty questions from the lsat, and you spend a few weeks refreshing your grammar, I believe that you will be ready to perform at a 90+ level. Think of your potential as a threshold that is let's day at 70%, however you are performing at 40%. Standard GMAT preparation will probably help you reach to that 70%, but it will not help you advance past that point. To move beyond that 70% threshold, you need some major restructuring of how you brain thinks, and only something technical can do that. The LSAT is not necessary to achieve a high GMAT score on the verbal, but I believe is sufficient (with some grammar review). Considering that I have spent several months on the LSAT, I can relax and focus on my quant section. On a side note, the analytical skills developed in the LSAT have helped me in many ways with the quant section. I hope this helps, and remember, you potential to improve is far greater than your original diagnostic score.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by student22 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:07 pm
I would also like to point out how helpful the reading comprehension passages have been on the LSAT. The passages are much more difficult than the GMAT ones, however all of the questions are the same (i.e. main point, inference, etc.).

Honestly, once you learn to answer almost all of the LSAT RC passages correctly, the GMAT RC passages become a joke.