Is CR more of a process of elimination?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Is CR more of a process of elimination?

by Riggz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 pm
as subject reads, is it easier to approach CR answers as a process of elimination?

Of course this process coupled with a thorough understanding of the conclusion and its premises.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by torontogmat.com » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 pm
My opinion is a resounding NO!

Just as in SC, it helps a lot to prephrase possible solutions. This will help to avoid getting misled by the answer choices.

Once you get good at identifying the conclusion, evidence, and 'hole', or when there is no evidence, the link between cause and effect in the conclusion, it is not difficult to guess a few cases that would strengthen or weaken, or be required for the conclusion.

THEN, you can examine and eliminate answer choices. I use a checkmark in my answer grid for Yes, a small checkmark for 'sounds ok but I could imagine better', a small x for 'I don't like it but I'm not going to rule it out at this time', and a big X for 'no way'. (good habit for RC as well)

Just the other day a small checkmark won out vs. 4 X's, so in that sense I did answer by process of elimination. However, the small checkmark matched reasonably well one of my prephrases, and my student who hadn't yet learned this method missed it as a possibility because the relation was not obvious.

---

In summary,

1) assess (the logic)
2) guess (possible solutions)
3) process (of elimination!)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:14 am
torontogmat.com wrote:My opinion is a resounding NO!

Just as in SC, it helps a lot to prephrase possible solutions. This will help to avoid getting misled by the answer choices.

Once you get good at identifying the conclusion, evidence, and 'hole', or when there is no evidence, the link between cause and effect in the conclusion, it is not difficult to guess a few cases that would strengthen or weaken, or be required for the conclusion.

THEN, you can examine and eliminate answer choices. I use a checkmark in my answer grid for Yes, a small checkmark for 'sounds ok but I could imagine better', a small x for 'I don't like it but I'm not going to rule it out at this time', and a big X for 'no way'. (good habit for RC as well)

Just the other day a small checkmark won out vs. 4 X's, so in that sense I did answer by process of elimination. However, the small checkmark matched reasonably well one of my prephrases, and my student who hadn't yet learned this method missed it as a possibility because the relation was not obvious.

---

In summary,

1) assess (the logic)
2) guess (possible solutions)
3) process (of elimination!)
this post is extremely accurate and helpful.

i take issue, though, with its very first sentence: your answer is not actually a resounding 'no'. rather, your answer is a resounding 'not at the beginning of the problem'.

in short:
process of elimination should not be the primary strategy. however, beyond primary reasoning, process of elimination is absolutely essential.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron