Is an MBA worth it?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Official Company Rep
Followed by:9 members

Is an MBA worth it?

by ChrisBKnewton » Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am
Hey all,

Now that you've all made up your minds to go back to b-school (congrats!), I just wanted to point your attention to a fun new infographic Knewton put together: "Is an MBA worth it?"

The infographic lays out a bunch of reasons why people consider going back to b-school (increased salary and overall lifetime earnings, new job opportunities, etc). Plus, there are some fun comparisons about famous people in the business world who did and didn't go back for an MBA.

Check it out here and leave us a comment on the infographic letting us know if there are any reasons we missed! Why did you decide to go to b-school?
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Fri May 27, 2011 11:06 am
Cool Infographic.
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Official Company Rep

by ChrisBKnewton » Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Thanks Chitra! Glad you liked it.
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton

Followed by:5 members

by MBA.Aspirant » Sat May 28, 2011 4:54 am
Hey Chris - thanks for posting this! I think this infographic raises a question about entrepreneurs or those who are running a family business: do they need an MBA then? They're not aiming for an accelerated career or a career switch. As you mention, alot of entrepreneurs have made it without having an MBA. I personally know live examples of this. So what could be the benefit? I think what comes to play here is the added knowledge and business skills (fin. analysis, strategies, networking) that really benefits someone who's an entrepreneur or in a family business setting. Then again s/he must be shooting for a top 10 program in order to "really" benefit from it.
What do you think?

Official Company Rep

by ChrisBKnewton » Tue May 31, 2011 12:59 pm
Hi MBA.Aspirant,

That's an interesting question! I can think of a few ways someone running a family business could benefit from an MBA.

In that situation one probably wouldn't need the degree to "climb the ladder" of the business, but it could certainly be useful for the training it provides -- in financial analysis and accounting, marketing principles, etc. -- and for the doors it could open if expanding the business were a priority.

I'd also argue that a Top 10 program might not the be the only kind that would "really" benefit someone in a family business setting. There are many programs outside the top 10 or 20 that offer very sound training in business and financial principles. In fact, some of the benefits that a Top 10 program provides -- strong alumni networks, name recognition, and the like -- are most relevant for people seeking more traditional corporate careers.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Adams Baker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:36 am
It seems MBA today has become a panacea for all career problems. And there are a gazillion reasons why this is the case today. You can end up doing an MBA whatever your background is. An MBA doesn't ask for a graduate degree is Business. You can be an engineer, art student or any niche subject that we have not heard of. If you are willing to pay the time and money an MBA university is standing right down the corner.

by simranbebi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am
If you can get into a top 15 MBA program, you can expect to get a salary in the $120K range.

If you can get into a ranked program not in the top 15, then you can expect a big bump in pay. The better schools in this group will get you a six figure salary -- or close.

Followed by:4 members

by sandeep800 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:43 pm
Hey thanx Chris
A body of clay, a mind full of play, a moment's life - that is me!!!

Followed by:1 members

by Vivek Murari » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:38 pm
That was very very depressing to look at, considering that we have opted to go for a MBA and working with BTG here :wink: