Is a MBA for me? Failed a 3rd time.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is a MBA for me? Failed a 3rd time.

by Hukupz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 am
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for a few years in and out of my studying. I'll dive into my background a bit so everyone can understand where I'm coming from. I have a 4.0 from McMaster University in Hamilton, have passed the CFA level 1 and have a Masters degree in a Data mining (1 credit short). I've failed the GMAT 3 times now (June 2012, May 2013, and June 2014) around the same of year when applications are due in Canada.

My scores have been dismal.

2012 - 480 ~32Q ~20V
2013 - 420 ~30Q ~19V
2014 - 460 ~28Q ~25V

I know my study plan hasn't been well developed as I study for about 3 weeks each time (I should already know it doesn't work). My preparation tools were GMAT Premier 2014 and the OG 13. I completed about 90% of the GMAT Premier 2014 and 100 Q/300 V from the OG 13. My goal isn't to score a 700 like most of you, but to score a 550 to be accepted into a MBA program.

I have a chance to write the GMAT again either July 24 or Aug 1 to apply to a school I'd like to go to. I'm looking for advice because I haven't been able to do this and I'm starting to get really frustrated.

I know my first issue is I should be taking practice takes once a week and reviewing all questions. Would anyone be able to offer any other advice? I'm going to contact Irene based off the one post about attacking my verbal score, but are there any quant books I should look into? I have access to the Manhattan series if that's where I should start.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and looking forward to responses,

J

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:34 am
Dude,

Do-not half-ass your GMAT Prep and do not settle for a 550. 3 weeks is insufficient time for GMAT Prep.
How can you say you are not fit for MBA when the average bloke spends 4 month prepping for this monster ?
Do yourself a favor and buy MGMAT Strategy Guides, even a 2nd hand version would do. Spend 3-4 months studying MGMAT Guides, 6 MGMAT Tests and 2 GMAT Prep Tests. You would score in the range of 650-700.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 am
Hi Hukupz,

Your credentials to clear CFA level 1 speaks a lot about your understanding about finance and calculation skills and your Quant score of 28 is completely out of sink with your credentials. Therefore the first suggestion that I would like to give as GMAT trainer is that you must be focussing on Quant as there is a huge potential to improve the score. You can easily reach a score of minimum 45 in Quant which will improve your total score by approx.110 marks.

Secondly your Verbal also has potential to be improved further but at this stage when you have not been able to get a good score after taking 3 attempts I can't suggest you to do the preparation on your own.

There is something seriously wrong about your strategy of preparation and solving questions of both Quant and Verbal therefore I would suggest you must do the preparation under guidance of some expert.

None of my students has ever scored less than 47 in Quant so i would like to offer you one FREE Online Interactive demo class for Quant and one for Verbal and then offer you our assessment about your preparation and way forward for improvement.

Manhattan is good source of preparation but I think you need to brush up your fundamentals before you start practicing that material. So please keep that material on hold for sometime and then practice it on later stage when you have improved your basic skills in Quant.

There are many books that you can refer to

For quant you can start with the following book in the same order
-Nova Book for GMAT
-GMAT Bible
-OG-10 (easy one)
-Manhattan Books
-OG-13 Difficult one
-Practice Tests

Don't settle for any score less than 45 in Quant and Don't take GMAT Date again till you start getting such scores in practice tests

For Verbal
1) Refer to OG 10 for Critical Reasoning
2) Refer to OG 11 for Critical Reasoning
3) Refer to OG 11 for Reading Comprehension
4) Refer to OG 10 for Sentence Correction
5) Refer to OG 11 for Sentence Correction
6) Refer to Manhattan CR and SC
7) Start taking tests and check your accuracy level

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am
Hi Hukupz,

By identifying the immediate problem, you've taken a big step in terms of improving your score. The way with which you've approached your studies (study for 3 weeks with some books) clearly has not helped you to achieve your goals. Now you have to make the necessary adjustments to your plans and get back to studying.

Your score goal is modest, which makes it easier for you to accomplish. At the basic level, you need more time to practice AND you need to learn the proper tactics to approach the various question types. If you're "locked in" to your current timeline, then I'd suggest that you push your Test to the latest date possible (August 1) and invest in some new GMAT resources.

Most GMAT companies offer some type of free resources, trial accounts, etc., so that you can get a "feel" for their products. You should take a few days to sample the various options, then pick the one that best fits your budget, timeline and personality. Your approach was missing the consistent, expert perspective that most Test Takers need during their studies.

If you have any questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ttrojan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am
I love the last guy's closing...."GMAT assassin aren't born, they're made"

I'm no expert and I have not yet reached my target score but here are my notes.

1. You're clearly intelligent. Stop gabbing low hanging fruit...go hard or go home. Why go to a mediocre school when you have the potential of going to a high 2nd tier/bottom top-tier? If you're going full-time go to a school that will give you access to a network you wouldn't be able to cultivate on your own...THAT's where the life-long ROI is. Dedicate a solid 3-3.5 months to this. Work, study, sleep, eat, Netflix to unwind, grab drinks with friends 2x/month. That's kind of a non-negotiable.

2. The spacing between your test scores is troubling. When prepping for a standardized test you don't retain most (if not close to all) of that info after the test is over. GMAT studying is ABSOLUTELY cumulative. My guess is hat it feels like you're starting from scratch every time you start crunching for the GMATs each year. Why keep putting yourself through that torture? You really need to be dedicating at least 2 hrs each night to studying. Key word here? CUMULATIVE.

3. Echoing everyone else when i say that your Quant should definitely be higher. Throw all your other stuff out and start like a baby trying to learn to walk. Get the MGMAT strat guides (I have a whole set that doesn't include the new Integrative Reasoning stuff I'm selling) and work your way through the self stud (you can purchase packages from MGMAT that allow you to get access to their online stuff).

Bottom line? Consider pushing out applying until next year. Dedicate 3 months and forget about it. If you studied for the CFA and passed...you can do better than 550 on the GMATs without even trying after dedicated study.

Happy to sell my old MGMAT strat guide set (still have the dry erase board, stop watch, 12th Ed GMAT Official Guide)for a reasonable price. If you're interested hit me on twitter @tobitrojan.

GOOD LUCK!!

-T

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sultana199 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 am
Please, don't give-up. Nothing is impossible to human. You should search the problem and lackings in you and take it as lesson to improve your preperations. I hope, you will be succeeded at the next.