Irregularity in GMAT scores

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Irregularity in GMAT scores

by tyl3rdurd3n » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:21 am
Hi,

I have given 4 practice tests so far and have been observing irregular patterns:

10th may, 2015: Gave GMATPrep1 test without any preparation or understanding of how GMAT works. Got a score of 660 (Q:48; V31)
11th may, 2015: Gave GMATPrep2 test after understanding the basic rules of GMAT and seeing some basic math formulas. Scored 670(Q:48; V33)
I didn't get time to study post that and begin my preparations mid-June onward. I had observed low score in RC section, so I primarily focused on that.
3rd July,2015: Gave GMATPrep3 test and scored 710 (Q:49; V:38)
Observed low score in CR while RC improved drastically.I had been working on CR for past two weeks. Also, studied a bit on word probables in Quant.
Today, I gave the free test provided my Manhattan GMAT. I scored 600 (Q:44; V:29).

With my baseline GMAT score of 660-670 and a improvement to 710 in close to 18-20 days of preparation, the sudden drop to 600 is a shock. How should I analyse this score. Any tips or suggestions on the next plan of action would help as well.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:49 am
Hi Vaibhav,

Practice CAT scores are only as realistic as YOU make the process of taking the CAT. The more the 'CAT-taking event' deviates from what you'll face on Test Day, the more likely the score is to be inaccurate (and in most cases, that means "inflated").

Here are some details to consider: When you took your CATs...
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?

All things being equal, your first 3 CAT scores are quite strong, considering that you did not study much (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Whether you can improve upon this score or not will depend on how you study, how much time you can commit to the process and the resources that you use.

What is your goal score?
When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by tyl3rdurd3n » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:51 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for providing the analysis and suggestions. I had a goal in mind to score 740 or more, but I would have to rethink based on the scores in next few practice tests. Also, I plan to take the GMAT somewhere in September, maybe around 15th September.

Another set of details for records so that someone else can benefit from the post as well.
When you took your CATs...
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes for the 4th test and No for the first three.
2) Did you take it at home? Yes for all
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? No for all
4) Did you do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)? Not really. I might have paused a few times on the first two tests but not on 3rd and 4th.

Plan of Action for future: 1) Plan to take one test per week (Manhattan or GmatPrep) and making it as realistic as possible.
2) One reason could be that I was more prepared for CR and Quant this time. And hence I attempted a lot more questions this time which meant less time per question. This lead to rushing up in the end and hence more mistakes. So, I plan to improve on timing as well.

Any other suggestions Rich?

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:38 am
The GMATPrep tests are the most accurate indicator of where you stand, so you should take the outlier score with a grain of salt. (However, on the next GMATPrep exam you take, you'll definitely want to do the essay and IR. If your score is disappointing, it's possible that stamina is an issue.)

The thing that's most conspicuous to me is that within those GMATPrep tests, the quant score appears to be consistent, but there are substantial verbal swings. This isn't uncommon, but you'll want to find out why. My advice is to review those tests thoroughly and make sure you understand every question you missed. If there are areas that give you trouble, take note of that, and make sure you come up with specific strategic adjustments to address them. And last, post any questions that aren't 100% clear here.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 pm
Hi Vaibhav,

The extra information you've provided is quite useful; it points to a number of inconsistencies in how you've taken your CATs and a number of factors that likely makes most of your score unrealistic.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event', which you CAN prepare for. Unfortunately, you've chosen to take your CATs in a way that is significantly different from what you'll face on Test Day. Skipping sections, taking the CATs at home (and at a different time of day from your Official GMAT), pausing the CATs, etc. - NONE of this is matches up with how you'll take your Official GMAT, so we have to assume that these scores are 'off' (and in most cases, that means 'inflated').

Realistically, you're likely scoring in the low 600s right now, which means that you have some work to do to score in the mid-700s. You still have plenty of time though - taking one realistic, FULL-LENGTH CAT per week should definitely be part of your overall study plans going forward.

What resources have you been using during your studies?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 pm
Hey Vaibhav,

Just weighing in as well. Let's look at your GMATPreps:

GMATPrep1 - 660 (Q:48; V31)
GMATPrep2 - 670(Q:48; V33)
GMATPrep3 - 710 (Q:49; V:38)

This makes total sense with what you described as your method of studying. A steady improvement in Verbal and a fairly steady Quant. Keep in mind the GMATPrep 3 is HARDER than GMATPrep 1 and 2, so even though a Q49 feels stagnant, your Quant score HAS improved. A Q48 on the GMATPrep 2 is NOT the same as a Q48 on the GMATPrep 3! In general people's scores tend to DROP on Test Day because of nerves/difficulty, so if I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably score in the high 600's if you took the GMAT today.

Now let's look at your MGMAT:

MGMAT 1 - 600 (Q:44; V:29)

This test is not scored in ANY WAY like the GMATPreps as it is a private company's practice test. So you did NOT experience a "sudden drop" at all.

Don't get me wrong, MGMAT makes great CATs, and I absolutely approve of your 1 a week strategy moving forward using MGMAT CATs and GMATPreps, BUT the way they score their CATs is NOT AT ALL how the actual GMAT is scored. Notice that if you re-set this CAT and took it again you'd see the same exact questions in the same order!! GMAC is actually super-secretive about the GMAT scoring algorithm, so the result is that NO private company can mimic it. All test prep companies do is study official questions and them create pre-planned mock tests that try to similate the format and attempt to increase in difficulty as the questions continue along so the student "feels" like they are taking an adaptive test. But make no mistake, the MGMAT exam is NOT a true adaptive GMAT-like test.

So, now that I'm done my "scoring" rant :-), never forget that the TRUE value of the CATs is as diagnostic tools. Review every incorrect question with a fine tooth comb. Log it, consider it from a content-angle, a strategy-angle, and a pacing-angle. See the attached Error Log so you can see what I mean. Your CATs tell you where you should be spending your valuable study-time. Don't ask: "why did my score drop?" Rather, ask:

-what TYPE of question did I miss the most often?
-what CONCEPTS did I miss the most often?
-HOW could I have better used my scratch paper to DEAL with the question?
-what is the "lesson" behind each question (for ME)?

If you had a log for all 4 of these CATs, you'd be in a much better place to know how to move forward precisely and efficiently. If you want to score a 740 on Test Day, I'd aim for a 750+ on MGMAT CATs, and a 760+ on any GMATPrep re-take (you'll see some repeat questions).

You may also want to consider some strategy overhaul to push yourself higher. See what I mean here: https://gmatrockstar.com/2015/02/02/how- ... n-2-weeks/

Hope this helps put some things in perspective!

Best,
Vivian
Attachments
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by tyl3rdurd3n » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:43 am
Thanks a lot Rich, David and Vivian for all your suggestions and analysis. I plan to move from 1 section per week(eg. 1 week CR, 1 week RC) to a more inclusive study, i.e. practicing questions for each section: SC, RC, CR, DS and PS every week. Weekend would be dedicated to 1 mock-test and its detailed analysis on day1 and studying weak concepts on day 2.
Would keep you posted and come back if I need more suggestions :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:30 am
Hi tyl3rdurd3n,

The added value of taking a full-length, timed test is that your post-test analysis will be far more accurate and allow you to create a more focused study plan. When you do take your first full-length test, take the time to go back and analyze which question types you answered incorrectly most frequently and - above anything else - why you struggled with them. Take notes and use this to guide your study plan going forward. Here's a link to an article we wrote on creating an effective error log to guide your prep: https://bit.ly/1K9yqpM

Best,
Rich

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:03 am
It's apparent that taking the first two tests in quick suggestion hasn't really helped. Further, working on just one or two areas for improvement doesn't help. Therefore, you should practice for all the sections --such as Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension in case of Verbal on a regular basis. You haven't mentioned how did you perform in respect of CR questions in the 4th test. It will be very important to look at your pacing. Remember that the more of the initial questions you get right the better. It's possible that you have hurried in the initial stages on Test 4 and got a few questions wrong in the early stage. At times you may get questions right in spite of hurrying, but that's more of an exception and I would say that you have been lucky. Review your tests from this angle. You will certainly need more material and a few more full-length tests to keep practicing till you take the real test. Please space the practice material over the time period available to you. Manya-The Princeton Review courses come with 10 full-length practice tests and 125+ drills for practice. Here is the link to the brochure: https://www.manyagroup.com/brochure/gmat ... ochure.pdf
Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:[email protected]
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com

https://bit.ly/1OSgiTP