Interview questions - need advice

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Interview questions - need advice

by VicoGMAT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am
I have a couple of questions regarding the interview. But first some background info. Last year I applied to a BS and my application was refused after the interview.

I was not surprised (though upset) because I did not have much time for preparation so my GMAT score was pretty low.

During the interview I felt wrong while answering some questions and I would like to find out your opinion and suggestions about the proper/recommended answers.

Question nr. 1. What topics in the news usually attract your attention? (business/economics was implied)
Question nr. 2 What role do you usually assume in a team?
Question nr. 3 Imagine you are the leader of a team while studying at the BS. You need to complete a project. The deadline is tomorrow and there is still a lot to do. One of the members of the team announces that he/she is going out tonight because he/she does not feel like working on the project. The other team member complains that he won't be able to complete the work alone. Describe your course of action.

Two more things.
1. How important is community service (I am 39) for a not Top50 MBA school?
2. During the interview one of the alumni asked : you mentioned in one of your essays that you admired one of you bosses. Could you describe the qualities that you admired most?
The problem was I never mentioned anything like that. I deeply respect a lot of people but I do not admire anyone. I felt bad telling him that he made a mistake, so I kept improvising. It did not go very well of course.
Was it some kind of test? What should I have done in that situation?

I would appreciate answers to any part of the above.

By the way "Just be yourself" does not work for me in this situation (long story). When it comes to business my approach is "Fake it till you make it".

Thank you!

Vico

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:18 pm
Vico:
Thanks for your questions. I think that the interview can be stressful for some applicants, but I feel like 95% of the time they are pretty straightforward, and your questions seem to be ones worth preparing for and expecting to answer. The basic advice is to prepare for the usual questions and be ready to give the interviewer a true sense of who you are and what makes you unique.

1) What topics in the news usually attract your attention? (business/economics was implied)

Please do not assume that b-schools only want applicants who are interested exclusively in business! They do not ask questions with pre-determined answers, so you need to really understand your passions and desires to do well and be prepared. What if you are passionate about media, entertainment, or fashion - as businesses or just as personal hobbies? Presumably you might read those magazines. Or, for example, if you are interested in the environment you might be following the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico from the environmental, political, AND business angles. Also, so many people are watching World Cup right now, but if you, say, follow sports, it would be important to personalize it for you. For example, I was following Paraguay in the World Cup because I studied there in high school, hosted a Paraguayan foreign exchange student, etc.

2) What role do you usually assume in a team?

Without knowing what you do professionally, I cannot answer this question for you! It is important to tell stories of when you have been a leader or manager of a team pursuing a goal. Depending on your functional expertise, you may be the numbers person, creative spark, or devil's advocate as part of a team. All are perfectly acceptable, but I cannot tell you the answer because it is YOUR answer to tell.
I will say it can help to add a closing line such as, "An MBA from X school will help me improve my Y team skills via the A, B, C experiences because...." It shows that you have done your research about their school, and it indicates some introspection about how you hope to grow in business school.

3. Imagine you are the leader of a team while studying at the BS. You need to complete a project. The deadline is tomorrow and there is still a lot to do. One of the members of the team announces that he/she is going out tonight because he/she does not feel like working on the project. The other team member complains that he won't be able to complete the work alone. Describe your course of action.

Again, this would come down to how you see yourself acting. But, in general, stay positive! How might you persuade those team members to act differently and in the best interest of the team's ability to complete the project? The main thing is to be seen as positive and as someone who will be successful in such situations because they do arise in graduate school!

1. How important is community service (I am 39) for a not Top50 MBA school?

Community service, regardless of your age, is wonderful to have on your resume. However, for those schools you mention, it probably matters much less than work experience, recommendations, and your GMAT/transcript at this point in your career. I will tell you that clarifying why you believe business school makes sense at your age is very important.

2. During the interview one of the alumni asked: you mentioned in one of your essays that you admired one of you bosses. Could you describe the qualities that you admired most? The problem was I never mentioned anything like that. I deeply respect a lot of people but I do not admire anyone. I felt bad telling him that he made a mistake, so I kept improvising. It did not go very well of course. Was it some kind of test? What should I have done in that situation?

I seriously doubt it was "some kind of test" and I feel like the person may have actually said the word "admire" when they actually read about your "respect" for your boss. I would suggest you maybe try not to be so literal. Forget the semantics for a minute and share what it is you respect about the boss! Definitely do not mention that you do not admire anyone - that might come across as pompous and arrogant.

In short - try to RELAX. If it is an alumni interview, ask the interviewer about their experiences at the school. Get excited to learn about the business school program and share what you have to offer if admitted. Authenticity really can be perceived, and I do caution against your "Fake it 'til you make it" approach. Try to see where you are sincerely excited about spending the next two years of your life studying, and I believe that enthusiasm will come across in an interview and help you tremendously.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jenny2675 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 am
Thanks for sharing. I Think interview can this question:

Walk me through your resume.
Why do you want an MBA now and why now?
Why Kellogg?
What will you bring to the Kellogg community and how would you get involved?
What is your biggest accomplishment at your current job?
What are your short and long-term goals?
What has been your most significant leadership experience?
What would your peers say are three things you bring to the team?
Tell me about a significant challenge at your current job
Tell me about a time you had to motivate a group of people to work towards one thing
Tell me about a time you had to sway a team toward your point of view.
Tell me about a time where you had to handle conflict within a team.
Tell me about a time where you worked with someone who wasn't doing their share of the work.
Tell me about what you contribute to your team (in the context of work)?
What would your teammates say about you?
What is one negative thing they would say about you?
Is there anything you would like to point out that is negative on your application?
What other B-schools have you applied to? How can I be sure that you would pick Kellogg if you were to be admitted?
Do you have any questions for me?
103 interview questions and answers ( free pdf download)