International/language experience but not "real" w

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members
I have a question about my applicableness. I am afraid I don't have qualified work experience.
I'll tell you a little about myself, first. I am a 27 year old white American. I graduated in 2003 from Western Washington University with a BA in International Political Economy. I did well in my studies, but not superb. I graduated with a GPA around 3.5. I did however, receive a 100% on my final paper entitled "Lessons from East Asian Economic Development: A Comparative Look at Taiwan and South Korea Before and After the Asian Financial Crisis." Since graduation I have been living, studying and working in Taiwan (Republic of China). I have been studying Mandarin Chinese, both at a University as well as at language institutions. I can prove my Chinese ability as I've recently passed the TOCFL (Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language). I have yet to take the GMAT. However, I have both time and dedication. I believe I will be able to score above average (and hopefully higher) on the exam.

My question then becomes; is my work experience valid? I've read so many stories about people trying to pursue their field. I don't have a field. I'm not trying to advance my career. I've been teaching English. I've been able to teach English in Taiwan as a means to both study Chinese and travel the island. I've gained a lot, actually. I have learnt much about Taiwanese/Chinese (and Asian in general) culture. Furthermore, I have become a pretty good teacher. Both my students and fellow co-teachers have commented on my teaching ability positively. I can prove this because I've gotten pay raises every year. However, I don't want to be a teacher permanently. I want to return to America, attend graduate school, and start a new career. Obviously, I want to do something related to international economics.

I personally believe that I have experienced more than I would have if I worked in a multinational corporation after graduation. I studied international economics and then lived internationally. I also learnt the language. I feel this is an advantage for my goals. Sadly, I'm not sure if this is what MBA admissions are looking for. Does anyone have any advice, experiences, or opinions on the matter? Any response would be much obliged.

Thank you
Last edited by alex.gellatly on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 am
No skill will ever hurt your application and as long as it makes you look non traditional, it will be a value add.

But apart from this, an accelerated growth in whatever you are doing makes you look more attractive.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."