Improving Quant in less than 3 weeks

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Improving Quant in less than 3 weeks

by wpro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 am
Hi,

I am scheduled to take the GMAT in three weeks and I need to dramatically improve my Quant score. Below are my GMATPrep practice test scores:

640: 35V (74%) 42Q (57%)
630: 35V (74%) 41Q (54%)
660: 39V (88%) 42Q (57%)

Topics I struggle with:
1. Abstract Algebra (applied, first & second degree problems)
2. Combined Work/Average Problems

OG categorizes my most missed question types as, Algebra: Applied Problems (38,79,86,98,113,119,123,129,153,162,168,203,205,214,224) & Arithmetic: Operations on Rational Numbers (40,76,85,97,100,108,133,149,150,151,158,170,171,199,200,218,222,227)

Although my quant score hasn't improved, when I reviewed my most recent practice test, 6 out of the 10 questions I missed were careless mistakes. When I was able to review the questions without a time constraint, they were fairly easy to solve.

I have completed every question in the OG13th, and kept an error log. Of the questions I either missed or spent too much time on, I have created problem sets and reworked them.

I don't know how to best utilize my time studying quant moving forward. Should I keep reviewing old problems and learning the patterns, or should I do a lot of new practice problems? I'm frustrated because they way I have been studying obviously hasn't been working. I have been studying for a little over a month. I have less than three weeks and I would ideally like to be scoring in the 80% range for Quant.

Any study advice would be greatly appreciated given my timetable for the exam.

Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 am
Hi WPRO,

Scores DON'T improve due to various reasons:

1) Lot of silly mistakes
2) Poor understanding of Necessary Concepts (Number Properties, Geometry, Inequations primarily)
3) Poor ways to attack DS Questions
4) Poor speed of solving the questions and rushing towards the end of test
5) Your own reasons (Concentration etc.)

What is the primary reason with you for such a NOT-SO-GOOD performance?

Where the practice makes a substantial growth in the scores, Just finishing every material is not the key to get a good score. You must solve the questions in such a manner that your take-away from the questions is maximum and your ability to apply the concepts in various other problems also improves.

I would suggest that you should be taking some guidance as to what is the major problem with your problem before you lose a lot of time which you can use for further improvement.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

by wpro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 am
GMATinsight wrote:Hi WPRO,

Scores DON'T improve due to various reasons:

1) Lot of silly mistakes
2) Poor understanding of Necessary Concepts (Number Properties, Geometry, Inequations primarily)
3) Poor ways to attack DS Questions
4) Poor speed of solving the questions and rushing towards the end of test
5) Your own reasons (Concentration etc.)

What is the primary reason with you for such a NOT-SO-GOOD performance?

Where the practice makes a substantial growth in the scores, Just finishing every material is not the key to get a good score. You must solve the questions in such a manner that your take-away from the questions is maximum and your ability to apply the concepts in various other problems also improves.

I would suggest that you should be taking some guidance as to what is the major problem with your problem before you lose a lot of time which you can use for further improvement.
I would say that it's a poor understanding of how to apply the necessary concepts. I don't have a problem understudying the theory behind the question. Intuitively it's not difficult for me. I believe the difficulty stems from my inability to apply the theories/laws to actual problems. For abstract algebra problems it is my inability to set up the equation with variables instead of numbers. Once the problem is correctly set up, I have no issues solving. The problem is getting to the point where I can plug and chug.

For me, DS questions are easier than PS questions.

My problem is recognizing how to set up the problem, and the most efficient method to apply. I haven't grasped how to study the answers in such a way that I understand every element of the question.

I don't think the math is difficult itself, I just haven't cracked the code of how the GMAT manipulates basic concepts to make them appear difficult. I haven't recognized the important patterns.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 am
wpro wrote: Topics I struggle with:
1. Abstract Algebra (applied, first & second degree problems)
2. Combined Work/Average Problems
I suggest that you use BTG's tagging feature to help you focus on one topic at a time.
Here are all of the questions tagged as Algebra questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... th/algebra
Here are all of the questions tagged as Work questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... s/workrate
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

Be sure to spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. They model the steps one should take when tackling math problems.
wpro wrote: Although my quant score hasn't improved, when I reviewed my most recent practice test, 6 out of the 10 questions I missed were careless mistakes. When I was able to review the questions without a time constraint, they were fairly easy to solve.
If silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by wpro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 am
Thank you, Brent and Bhoopendra.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:00 am
wpro wrote: I would say that it's a poor understanding of how to apply the necessary concepts. I don't have a problem understudying the theory behind the question. Intuitively it's not difficult for me. I believe the difficulty stems from my inability to apply the theories/laws to actual problems. For abstract algebra problems it is my inability to set up the equation with variables instead of numbers. Once the problem is correctly set up, I have no issues solving. The problem is getting to the point where I can plug and chug.

For me, DS questions are easier than PS questions.

My problem is recognizing how to set up the problem, and the most efficient method to apply. I haven't grasped how to study the answers in such a way that I understand every element of the question.

I don't think the math is difficult itself, I just haven't cracked the code of how the GMAT manipulates basic concepts to make them appear difficult. I haven't recognized the important patterns.
You got the nerve of GMAT by saying "I don't think the math is difficult itself" :)

Also you surprised me by mentioning that you find DS easier than PS which is not the usual case with majority of test takers.

Application of concepts is a problem when you stick to one way of solving the question. You must always look for alternative approaches so that you brain can be tuned to think on other dimensions as well.

Solve the Questions of Word Problems and Master the questions of Time and Work and Speed, time Distance topics which offer you to make equations in various ways.

On Beat the GMAT almost every questions has various ways to solve it. So identify the topic that bothers you the most and start looking at the methods of solving those questions. I am sure they will be of great help for you.

All the best!!! :)
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:53 am
HI wpro,

Your Quant performance on these CATs is consistent, which means that you "see" the GMAT in a certain way and haven't been able to adapt. You mention wanting to score 80%, so I think you mean the 80th percentile, which is a Q49.

To raise a Quant Scaled Score in the low-40s to 49 takes time. While you could certainly improve in 3 weeks, you'd have a better chance of making a BIG improvement if you had more time than that. Do you have the flexibility to push your Test Date back? I know that most people don't "want" to change a Test Date once they have one, but your goal might necessitate it.

How long have you been studying? What resources (Courses, Books, etc.) have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by wpro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:24 pm
[email protected] wrote:HI wpro,

Your Quant performance on these CATs is consistent, which means that you "see" the GMAT in a certain way and haven't been able to adapt. You mention wanting to score 80%, so I think you mean the 80th percentile, which is a Q49.

To raise a Quant Scaled Score in the low-40s to 49 takes time. While you could certainly improve in 3 weeks, you'd have a better chance of making a BIG improvement if you had more time than that. Do you have the flexibility to push your Test Date back? I know that most people don't "want" to change a Test Date once they have one, but your goal might necessitate it.

How long have you been studying? What resources (Courses, Books, etc.) have you been using?

Rich
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your response. I have flexibility, but given the upcoming round 1 deadlines, I would prefer to take the GMAT before September. Obviously if I'm not close to my goal by the week before the test, I will push it back because a poor GMAT score with the round 1 application is a lot worse than a solid GMAT with a round 2 application. However, there are other factors involved with my decision to take this test in the next few weeks. I will be moving out of the country in September and it's important to me to have the GMAT/application process behind me.

I have been studying for about 4 weeks. I've completed the OG 13th edition, and currently have access to Kaplan's on-demand class until September 2nd. I am primarily using the Kaplan resource for the quiz bank (I have done 600 math practice problems).

I don't know if it's better to focus on one specific topic (Algebra), try to improve Quant as a whole, or to keep studying Quant & Verbal equally. I would like to score a 49 (80th percentile), but I'm worried if I neglect studying for the verbal section, my Verbal score could fall. It also seems that an improvement in math will significantly improve my overall score.

I've read plenty of posts and advice from other people, I just don't know how to use my study time effectively and efficiently. What I have been doing obviously isn't working.

Thank you again!

by wpro » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:59 am
Also, I realize that the Kaplan CATs are not the same as a GMAT Prep practice test, but below are my two Kaplan CATs:

640 - 44 Q (66th percentile), 38 V (83rd percentile)
650 - 48 Q (80th percentile), 35 V (74th percentile)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:49 am
Hi wpro,

It could be that the resources you're using and the work that you're doing will be enough to help you raise your Quant score. Since your original scores were all clustered in the low-40s, I bet that you can probably handle most of the "math" just fine. To score at the higher levels though, you have to do more than just math - tactics, pattern matching, Number Properties, etc. all play a big role in hitting a Quant score in the high-40s.

As you take practice CATs, note WHY you're getting questions wrong and focus on fixing those errors. Removing silly mistakes from your "process" is a must to earn a 700+ score.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]