I was beaten. Comprehensively. 640 (Q 47, V 32) :(((

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640
First things first. I cannot thank enough to the founders of this amazing forum. This website has been my source of inspiration.

About me :

I have been working for one of the top consulting firms in the United States for a little over 5 years. I am a non-native. I am at a stage where I feel secure about my English speaking abilities. Little did I know that this cockiness about 'spoken' English was futile in the GMAT. :cry:

About my preparation :

As for strategies, I have nothing new to add. There are excellent strategies already documented on this site.

Although I have been thinking of giving the GMAT since last year, I started my preparation last week by taking off from work. I went through the official guide & MGMAT SC (simply awesome).

My practice scores :

MGMAT1 : 660
MGMAT2 : 660
MGMAT3 : 650
MGMAT4 : 690
MGMAT5 : 660
MGMAT6 : 700

Looking at my practice scores, you may feel that my final score is close to this range. However, I have read in many posts that MGMAT tests are typically tougher than the real GMAT and you can expect a score of upto +40 in the real GMAT. Hence the disappointment.

The 'G' day :

I started off well with AWA. I could finish what I had to write within the prescribed time. I had a few minutes to review what I had written. The quant section never felt difficult. I had 7 minutes left for the last two questions, so took some time to answer those. The last one was especially easy, and believe it or not, I got it wrong (which I realized later) :roll: Overthinking about that question got me.

I took a quick break, drank some water, and I was back on my seat.

The verbal section was terribly difficult from the get go. I got 5 RCs in total. 4 of them were super confusing. It never got easy. At the back of my mind, I knew I was doing bad, but I was optimistic that perhaps the test was difficult because I was hitting the right answers. By the time the section was over, I was exhausted. To be honest, I just gave up once I reached question # 31. I remember clicking randomly on 3/4 answers. I had started thinking about everything other than the task at hand.

After 10 days of rigorous study, I hit the 'Report Scores' button. I got a dismal 640 (Q47, V32). Although a little expected, the verbal score hit me like a bullet. It hurt my ego and I almost went weak in my knees. The score was worse than any of my practice exams.

Next steps :

I am planning to try once more. Just to regain my confidence. I am so demoralized :(
This time around, I plan to focus my efforts equally on Q and V. Any suggestions/comments to improve RC and CR are welcome! :)

Suggestions :

The only suggestion I have is to build your stamina. Even if you feel relaxed after the quant section, the tiredness may get to you.

Good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Z_I » Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm
The score is pretty good for 10 days of study.
If you study well, you can easily get to 700+.

As for suggestions for RC/CR, the best way to understand the various strategies that worked for people is to read the nice debriefs of people who scored well.

All the best!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by gmatdreamz » Fri May 01, 2009 6:25 pm
Thank you z_i. I will certainly try to look for as many strategies as possible on this forum. I really don't want to rush the second time around.