I screwed up my verbal with 16 again!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by hcueva » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:36 am
rohu27 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:@hcueva

CAN YOU JUSTIFY THIS POINT OF YOURS????
Your options
a. Develop a conspiracy theory based on bad algorithms or discrimination against Indians.
Ahh..thanks for pointing this out Atul, im sure hcueva has a good explanation of whatever that means.
right hcueva?
As a matter of fact, I have a great explanation: those two points (algorithms and discrimination) were explicitly discussed by several posters in a previous thread started by NightReader (not necessarily by him, but by several other people).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or at least do a forum search query before exposing me publicly.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 am
hcueva wrote:
rohu27 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:@hcueva

CAN YOU JUSTIFY THIS POINT OF YOURS????
Your options
a. Develop a conspiracy theory based on bad algorithms or discrimination against Indians.
Ahh..thanks for pointing this out Atul, im sure hcueva has a good explanation of whatever that means.
right hcueva?
As a matter of fact, I have a great explanation: those two points (algorithms and discrimination) were explicitly discussed by several posters in a previous thread started by NightReader (not necessarily by him, but by several other people).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or at least do a forum search query before exposing me publicly.
As you suggested i search in the forum for the thread explaining a "conspiracy theory based on bad algorithms or discrimination against Indians." but haven't find any. May be i'm not that good in using internet and as you claimed that this extreme statement has been discussed by others so i would really appreciate if you can provide me a link so that i try to find some sense or logic in a Theory which actually seems nonsensical (a theory based on discrimination against Indians)

Moreover, i have no intention to expose you publicly. You post something in public forum, and i didn't get the meaning of some particular point and i asked, and i expect as you are posting something in public, you must be having ample evidence to justify your point. Lastly, please provide the link so that all of us will learn if anything relevant is there to learn?

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am
I doubt there is discrimination against Indians by GMAC. I do not believe in the faulty algorithm of GMAT CAT as well. The GMAT is a product for sale, nothing more. It can be called devilish, miraculous, tricky or other names, BUT won't quit being the product for sale of which we are customers. The problem with any product may arise when the monopoly power is effected. This is the only reason that business schools in the US accept GRE instead of GMAT. In fact, GMAC cannot control the content of GMAT exam, as the test questions and CAT algorithm are the functions of ACT company contracted by GMAC. On the other hand ACT is not responsible for securing GMAT exam sessions - this is a job of Pearson Vue. Now imagine, two vendors are called under the auspices of GMAC to orchestrate our GMAT exams. Right ... It's a hard task. GMAC wished all of us to crack the exam, BUT the vendors need to prove their capacities and thus, intensify the exam competition.

Nevertheless, knowing all this (actually, having analyzed the limited information pieces) does not help me to improve my verbal score of 16. I am in predicament now.
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:50 am
@Night reader
I am incredibly surprised by your score!Your english skills seem to be quite refined. I have read quite a few of your posts and if these posts are to some extent representative of your Verbal skills,a score of 16 seems mysterious to me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 am
NR- I was just re-reading some of your posting on prep work and how you approached some of the questions. I just wondered if you could clarify a few things. When you did the SC you mentioned about moving through choices until you could decisively find an answer. Did you always read every answer choice or would you mark off an answer once you thought it was correct (i.e. if upon first reading you thought it was right then you immediately answered A and moved on).

On RC you mentioned about focusing on the opening paragraph and then skimming. Were you trying to identify key words (thus, therefore, etc...) or simply get a feel for the passage by skimming? Did you find yourself going back to the passage alot during the questions?

On CR were you reading all answer choices or building an answer in your head and skimming the choices to see if one matched what you were thinking?

Also how much time did you have left over at the end of the verbal? Was there a point where you were rushing to catch up with the clock or did you have alot of time left over that could have been spent to read the passages closer or re-verify an answer choice.

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:08 am
fitzgerald thanks for taking your time and asking these questions. In fact, I have one answer on all the questions. I was reading the questions, then I read all answers and made my selections. For RC accordingly, I read passages by noting key words and keeping an eye on suspicious statements. I was making symbol notes on paper too.

15 days earlier (March 12) I had gone through the long format reading section in another English language exam, Toefl ibt, without any prep. I've received 23 in ibt reading section. My AWAs in GMAT at this time were not as good as I would desire. I spent only 25 and 20 minutes for two assignments, because I was afraid of over-burning. AWAs have been graded 5.0; I put ONLY 60% of my throughput in AWAs.

The more I reason my verbal score, the dizzier I feel

no clue
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:49 am
Hi, here https://www.beatthegmat.com/urgent-for-a ... tml#355443 I made one assumption why my verbal score was low. I believe I had all experimental questions very early in my verbal part. While, in all of my practice CATs (100% of CATs I did) my verbal score was adjusted from the beginning towards the end, this might not be the case in actual GMAT. I might be given NO COUNT question set very early in exam and loose my practice CAT - usual percentile ranks for the verbal part.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 am
NR,
just for the records, whts your Quant score.i hope to year a good number on this atleast.your quant explantaions on this forum were full proof to say the least.

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am
I scored 39 in Math. The other two people taking GMAT at the same test center outscored me in the quantitative section too. Initially, I thought it would be possible to have the experimental questions from the beginning without interruption (1-12), BUT then I looked up the GMAC content and revealed that it's not possible. The experimental questions are thrown onto us in the random order. There is a very little probability to run into the experimental questions without interruption and right from the beginning through the middle of the test.
rohu27 wrote:NR,
just for the records, whts your Quant score.i hope to year a good number on this atleast.your quant explantaions on this forum were full proof to say the least.

by artstudent » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:31 am
i understand that the point of the forum is to support people but i think we are doing NR a disservice to not give it to him straight. sometimes people just need to be told the real deal. i will go ahead and say it.

1) NR- don't give up. if you want it you can do it.

2) here's the painful part. I've read alot of your stuff both verbal and quant. your English is ok not great. nothing wrong with that. stop fretting about algorithm and figure out why you are scoring low. i noticed that you make lots of mistakes even on the quant from mis-interpreting the question. this tells me you have comprehension issues, at least gmat-wise. you also rush thru things and make careless mistakes. i would say slow down. you need to own up to your strength and weaknesses. stop extrapolating performance from other tests. the point is to ace the gmat. saying stuff such as "my english level is X evidenced by test Y therefore I should be at Z" is pointless. improve your gmat test taking skills.

3) i think you overcomplicate things. reading thru your verbal posts, i would say you have alot of knowledge of things but no mastery and you have not connected the dots. simplify your process.
test answers are binary. either right or wrong. your small mistakes make it appear that its a knowledge issue but its not. it's execution. clean up man, you are sloppy. i'm sorry to say that. but i think my comment will help you. you focus on the complex and neglect the small.

4) simplify. focus on the easy and efficient way to solve problems. once you get that then you can go to complicated.

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am
artstudent wrote:3) i think you overcomplicate things. reading thru your verbal posts, i would say you have alot of knowledge of things but no mastery and you have not connected the dots. simplify your process.
test answers are binary. either right or wrong. your small mistakes make it appear that its a knowledge issue but its not. it's execution. clean up man, you are sloppy. i'm sorry to say that. but i think my comment will help you. you focus on the complex and neglect the small.

4) simplify. focus on the easy and efficient way to solve problems. once you get that then you can go to complicated.
I can't get connection between the points 3 and 4. I have not had the mastery of verbal BUT had some knowledge ... was that a lack of mastery that made my verbal score down 16? Mastery is very abstract concept, why do you use it with the GMAT stuff?

Extrapolate? I am not extrapolating anything. Wait I do, and perhaps you don't do. When people read the math concepts or practice drills from OGs, they extrapolate the content of their study materials and scores in home CATs to the content and scores in actual GMAT. Don't you do that? Other not-GMAT tests could be easily combined and complete the GMAT prep. Indian CAT and LSAT are examples of the prep supplement to the GMAT quant and verbal sections. Also, reading comprehension is a reading comprehension, regardless of the test formats - Toefl ibt or GMAT verbal. Both test formats check the ability to read and understand short and long passages on academic topics.

Coming to general comprehension problems in the quant - perhaps you looked at the oldest threads of mine. Man, I was spending 4.5 months from October to mid-February on the quant. The way I approached quant problems in December was different from that I did in January. Yet, I practiced even more until the end of March.

I think you are trying to impress me and others with your artistic post. I am sorry. I could not find your post useful to resolve the issue of my low verbal score.

by artstudent » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:16 pm
take it how you want to man. the post is meant to help you. if you choose not to self-examine fine, continue the same way of studying. at some point you have to be honest with your skill-level. again, i emphasize comprehension for you. i honestly think that is your biggest weakness. clear example here, you totally missed my point in the last post and thought it was "artistic"?

let me clear up what execution means. it means you have the knowledge to get a higher score (whatever that may be) but you make mistakes (silly and comprehension issues) and maybe others such as time management.

stop being delusional and acting like you are part of some rare portion of the population that's really good at the test but got shafted. there are those people out there. but by definition, chances are you are not one of them. cuz they are rare. i can see very obvious mistakes you make. you need to remedy that.

this will be my only response to you because people here are too nice to give it to you straight and thus not helpful. i see your struggle and sympathize. again, you take the test way to personal as if it's an indication of anything other than your ability to take the gmat. it's jsut a test. you can beat it just like thousands have. you just need to re-focus and be honest with yourself.

seek real solutions. if after you fixed your skillset holes and you still have issues breaking 16 than you might have some other pysch issues. in which case you need to talk to a psychologist. maybe take beta-blocker for anxiety? all of the high-performer in music takes this before performances in front of large crowd. when there's a will there's a way. man up son.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:09 pm
@art student,

Nice that u were "straight" in your comments/analysis.

Even I did the same to NR, but he "mocked" my comments.

Anyways NR, the lighter part of ur version is your doing a blame game at the outset and then going on adding some"obscure" details like network/communication protocol/experimental questions.....

My suggestion is take one-one tutoring with a reputed tutor & get the things done. Don't keep on brooding about the past.

I really empathize ur condition. All the best man. Take a week off & start fresh!! U have the potential , as artstudent said u NEED to connect the dots.

Let me remind you, DON'T LOSE THE GOAL!!

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am
@artstudent now you made GMAT some really artistic domain and @gmatmachoman, you keep memories from the past when I really was reluctant to your meaningless suggestions. I had to even delete my posts to avoid being misunderstood by the BTG members in the forthcoming time.

I have received two e-mail messages from GMAC - one from Candidate Services Americas and the other from EMEA. They contradict to each other. Americas e-mail says that my GMAT score as well as the content of my GMAT exam continue to be under the review. EMEA e-mail says "No compensation will be given for GMAT exams. No errors were found in the exams.", and according to EMEA my incidence (case) has been closed.

@artstudent, please calm down and keep the psycho advice for the artistic audience. I am telling you that my comprehension was not affected in another language exam while it was qualified by you as weak. Thanks god you are not ruling this world with such quick qualifications.

I have to wait until GMAC Americas makes its decision about my GMAT exam.

by gmat7202011 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:15 pm
@NR Do not spend time on analyzing and over analyzing stuff.
Its a waste of time, algorithms, discrimination, faulty stuff, GMAC emails all crap.
Wont get you anywhere.

If i tell you Oh NR, the algorithm is faulty, you may feel a little supportive, but at the end of the day wont change your score.

Take your marksheets, it is what it is.

If you really want to still beat it, get back to the drawing board with a fresh slate. You can still beat it, believe me i have seen people bounce back from worst.

Let me give you an example, if a great batsman gets out on zero due to an wrong decision or an unfortunate shot, what goes into the history books is not a bad decision or the unfortunate shot but his score i.e zero { Black and White }

No one can help you more than yourself. Period

Sorry if i was rude, but i really want you to suck it up and fight it out in a constructive manner.