I need help to solve it.........

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I need help to solve it.........

by Alfred » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 am
Hello friends

This is a question of arithmetic related to number problems, I have tried a lot to solve it but somehow I am unable to find out the correct answer.

If c is a +ve integer between 1 and 9, and n = 9,446 + c, then what is the value of c?
(1) n is divisible by 5.
(2) n is divisible by 9.
In the last paragraph, when n is divisible by 5, then "c" can be 4 or 9. In the next sentence it states, "if n is divisible by 9, you can add the digits and find what
the nearby multiples of 9 are. Which digits are you adding?

I had seen this question at www.testcircle.com/gmat in free GMAT sample videos, and there are more than 1000s of GMAT CAt test based questions in free sample videos.
Waiting for a good reply.
Thanks

by swati chaturvedi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 am
answer seems to be '4'

1. divisible by 5 -----

when 9446 is divided by 5,this leaves remainder of 1 and both 4 and 9 will satisfy the condition of n divisible by 5.

9446/5= 1889 1/5

2. divisible by 9-----

9446/9= 1049 5/9, with remainder of 5 and only 4 will satisfy this condition of n being divisible by 9.

Hope it is correct.

by mun1shk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 pm
Alfred wrote:Hello friends

This is a question of arithmetic related to number problems, I have tried a lot to solve it but somehow I am unable to find out the correct answer.

If c is a +ve integer between 1 and 9, and n = 9,446 + c, then what is the value of c?
(1) n is divisible by 5.
(2) n is divisible by 9.
In the last paragraph, when n is divisible by 5, then "c" can be 4 or 9. In the next sentence it states, "if n is divisible by 9, you can add the digits and find what

I had seen this question at www.testcircle.com/gmat in free GMAT sample videos, and there are more than 1000s of GMAT CAt test based questions in free sample videos.
Thanks
Hi Alfred,

Remember the divisibility test of 9, if a number is given then you add up all the digits and see if the result is divisible by 9.
eg 72 = 7+2=9 so divisible by 9

for this question Ans should be D both statements will give answer 4.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Concordio » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 pm
I think the answer is B. (1) is insufficient because it gives you two answers - 4 or 9. (2) only gives you 4 as a viable answer choice.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tata » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am
The question is a little confusing, does the question mean 1 and 9 ARE included? If it does then the answer is B, if 1 and 9 are EXCLUDED i.e 1<c<9 then the answer is D

mun1shk wrote:

(1) n is divisible by 5.
(2) n is divisible by 9.

Thanks
Hi Alfred,

Remember the divisibility test of 9, if a number is given then you add up all the digits and see if the result is divisible by 9.
eg 72 = 7+2=9 so divisible by 9

for this question Ans should be D both statements will give answer 4.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 am

(1) n is divisible by 5.
(2) n is divisible by 9.

Waiting for a good reply.Thanks
here n = 9446 + c
st.1: when 9446 is divided by 5 it will give remainder =1 (as last digit is 6)
so for 9446 + c to be divisible by 5, c+1 must be divisible by 5
also1< c<9 --> c= 4 -----------------(i)--------------sufficient

st.2: also when 9446 is divided by 5 it will give remainder =5 (as last sum of digit = 9+4+4+6 = 23)
so for 9446 + c to be divisible by 9, c+5 must be divisible by 9
also1=< c<=9 --> c= 4 -----------------(ii)--------------sufficient

Ans D
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:640

by Mom4MBA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 am
Shashank is right here, actually the confusion here is in statement 1, because it is written between 1 and 9 that means 1 and 9 are not included.

so both the statements are sufficient alone, giving us answer D
Last edited by Mom4MBA on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay focused

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 am
Mom4MBA wrote:Shashank's is right here, actually the confusion here is in statement 1, because it is written between 1 and 9 that means 1 and 9 are not included.

so both the statements are sufficient alone, giving us answer D
Yeah that is what I meant to say that If its clearly written between 1 and 9 that means 1 and 9 are not included.
Also I have seen that whenever there is an inclusion of boundary values they always specify it in question or show it inform of mathematical expression so rest assured about it...
My Websites:

by rohankelkar81 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:14 am
hi all,

I guess the answer is 'B'.... since that is precisely concludes the value of 'c'. n we dont need other hint for doing them.. it also takes care of optimization
Victorious!
Rohan

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 am
rohankelkar81 wrote:hi all,

I guess the answer is 'B'.... since that is precisely concludes the value of 'c'. n we dont need other hint for doing them.. it also takes care of optimization
rohankelkar81 yeah B precisely concludes the value of C but A also gives the same value...
so you have to consider the option D which says" A and B are individually sufficient to ans he problem"
My Websites: