I got Beaten by The GMAT! 690 (Q 49, V34)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

I got Beaten by The GMAT! 690 (Q 49, V34)

by sars » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 am
My name is Sarathy Srinivas. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and I never repeat myself. I've told you my name: that's the Who. The Where could most readily be described as Chennai. But there's a vast difference between being stuck in Chennai and being a Chennaite. The What is easy: recently I planned and set in motion events to execute the perfect GMAT score. That's also the When. As for the Why: beyond the obvious financial motivation (good gmat score -> good school -> good money), it's exceedingly simple... because I can. Which leaves us only with the How; and therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub.

After months of procrastinating, I decided, in August, to seriously study for the GMAT. As luck would have it, I suddenly got loaded with work and wasn't even able to dedicate an hour/ day. So, I rescheduled my exam from September 10th to October 15th - not that it made much of a difference. As usual, I just chilled out till the last week or so.. well., not really.. this time my senses kicked in 20 days or so before the test... maybe the magnitude of the occasion dawned upon me. Whatever it was, I started 'seriously' studying and managed to clock up to 4 hours of preparation on weekdays and 3 hours during the weekends. Not the prescribed amounts, but what I thought/ hoped/ knew would suffice.
I registered on Knewton.com... These classes were the best thing that could have happened for me. Not only did they keep me focused, they also kept me pumped. The Knewton staff are amazing. They are knowledgeable, active, funny and tuned to your needs. Any doubt you have will not go unanswered. Special mention to Ewan, Dave, Iwan, Joanna and Bridigette; they are absolutely fantastic.

QUANT
Apart from the Knewton classes, I studied QUANT from the IMS CAT (Management Common Admission Test, India) books. These were more than enough. For an Indian, I'm pretty average at math.. so I knew the quant portion of the GMAT would be pretty easy once I had all the basics covered.
Key topics in QUANTS:
Number Properties ** MOST IMPORTANT - Studied from IMS material
Rates/ Mixtures - Studied from IMS material
Geometry - Studied from IMS material
Probability - Didn't truest IMS material on this one.. so surfed the web.. wasted a couple of hours and then found this treasure chest.. lectures on probability ...loaded them onto my blackberry and went through 4 of them on the way to and from work and managed to finish them in 3 trips.. though these were pretty basic, they gave me all that I needed... got 6 probability questions on the actual test and I am 100% sure I got them all right.. was able to finish them in a couple of seconds too
Data Sufficiency: Just learnt the two basic rules
1. attack each statement separately, and
2. don't calculate anything!!!

VERBAL
SC: Knewton sessions, Manhattan SC Guide 4th edition. Though I managed to finish only the first 6 chapters (ran outta time) ... I was pretty satisfied since I was aiming for 40 in verbal and I had most of the basics of SC covered

CR: Went through Powerscore CR Bible on the last two days before the test.. boy how I wish I had more time.. this book was a fascinating read.. thoroughly enjoyed it.. though I was to later realise my folly of not having gone through a couple of OG questions.. See, the Powerscore CR gives you a couple of questions after each topic, so you pretty much know what to look for and how to attack. but on the real test, you don't have that luxury.

RC: Did two the last two RCs in OG 12 about 7 days before the test and answered all correctly.. so figured that's it then.. no need to focus/study/practice RCs

Practice Tests
Manhattan 1- 670 (46,35) : My diagnostic, knew where I stood..was rusty in Quants and needed to improve a bit in SC
GMAT Prep 1 - 710(49,39): One week before the test.. needed to finish off SC
Manhattan 2 - 730(45,45): Silly mistakes in Quants.. was where I needed to be in Verbal..right on track

So, though my preparation was by no means complete, it was, as I saw it, sufficient to get the 700+ score that most of us desperately seek

Test Day
Took an auto(rickshaw) to the test centre.. reached at 8 am.. took the elevator, which was one of those '80s types with the grill doors and all... that freaked me out a bit.. had an hour to spare... the bloody place was locked up.. had to stand outside .. that's when I remembered.. I had forgotten to study AWA... luckily for me, I had taken a printout of Chineseburned's AWA article the previous day while at work.. took it outta my bag and went through it a couple of times.. let it all sink in.. at 8:30 they opened the place and let us all in (10 of us). We showed our passports (mandatory if you're taking the test in India).. did the whole vein scanning thingamajig.. got our locker keys.. I had even brought my pullover along .. dress in layers :D .. I asked if I could take it along with me just in case... the staff told me that the temp inside would be the same as it was in the waiting area... or as she so eloquently put it "it's same inside... are you feeling cold here? No? Then no need" .. but hey, nice lady..
So things started... AWA Argument.. froze for a couple of seconds.. then got started.. typed in a couple of ideas... then formatted the whole thing.. was running outta time so finished things of hurriedly, review for a minute and submitted with 10 seconds to spare. Next, the ISSUE... was quicker of the blocks, but got too involved and had only 2mins to review... did a bit of editing and suddenly the screen popped up "time's up" ... I was like "holy ****... Jesus ****** Christ!!!" .. after a couple of seconds I remembered that for the AWA section it doesn't matter if you've not submitted it.. so I let it go... raised my hand, prop came over and I took the break..
A bite of my energy bar, a gulp orange juice, a quick toilet break.. washed my face, drank a glass of cold water.. and was back in...
Didn't have time to draw my grid on the scratch pad.. but as it turned out, I didn't need to.. went through the quant section without much drama.. in the middle I got a question that seemed pretty easy.. got the answer in 10 seconds, clicked Next and was about to click Confirm when something in my head went "wait.. that was way too easy.. u'r in the middle of the test.. it can't be that easy".. so I read the question again.. and spotted a trap that I'd fallen for... then got the correct answer.. this was a huge confidence booster.. and I never looked back after that.. guessed the penultimate question within 15 seconds and had 2 minutes for the last.. finished it and that was that..
Break.. same as before.. and back in
Things were going off pretty well... spent a bit more on SC coz I had finished my practice exams with 5 or more minutes to spare in verbal .. this time wanted to use every minute up.. then my third rc.. passage was pretty vague.. could answer the first question.. I read the passage again .. still no luck.. again went through... couldn't make out the structure.. because the passage sorta left the conclusion open to interpretation or unresolved... whatever it was... got so damn involved that I totally forgot that I was taking a test and that I had to keep track of time.. I answered the question.. looked up.. 21 questions remaining, 23 minutes remaining "********************************" .. it all went downhill from there... I had totally lost it.. I tried telling myself to keep at it.. but I jus couldn't concentrate knowing that I had blown it.. answered the SCs .. but just couldn't focus for the CRs and the RCs... I rushed thru the remainder of the test and had 30 seconds for the last 6 questions.. guessed them all.. had no alternative....
Proceeded to the score screen.. 690 (Q 49 - 87%ile, V 34 - 68%ile)- Overall 88%ile.. I felt like a train had run right through me... the rest is just a blur.. I gained consciousness after 20 minutes, a mile or so down from the test centre .. just kicking myself for being so ***** stupid

It's all sunk in now... I'll be retaking the GMAT in the last week of November.. targeting 750+ this time.. I'll start off on my essays in the meanwhile.... one thing that I'm gonna do this time is take a practice test everyday for 5 days leading up to the test... call it stupid, call it whatever you want, I call it collateral
Last edited by sars on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Life is like a box of chocolates~

by snipertrader » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 am
good de-brief

can u share the vids for the probability?
Everything is relative in life

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by modesto2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 am
Why must I pay strict attention to what you say? If I forget it, I can just re-read it :) (It's not like you're speaking to me...)

Congrats on your score! I'm sure you'll do even better the next time.

GMAT Score:690

by sars » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 am
snipertrader wrote:good de-brief

i downloaded the torrent from demonoid, but it is down now... traced down an alternative source...
https://isohunt.com/torrent_details/5169 ... ab=summary
download the first 5 videos for probability and, if necessary, videos #8 and #9 for averages and standard deviation
~Life is like a box of chocolates~

by varshakhanna » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:39 pm
Are the IMS materials available in ebook form

by snipertrader » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:26 am
thanks Macha!
sars wrote:
snipertrader wrote:good de-brief

i downloaded the torrent from demonoid, but it is down now... traced down an alternative source...
https://isohunt.com/torrent_details/5169 ... ab=summary
download the first 5 videos for probability and, if necessary, videos #8 and #9 for averages and standard deviation
Everything is relative in life

Manhattan SC

by Rajnish Mishra » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:15 am
Hi,

Can you help locate - "Mahattan Sentence Correction GMAT Strategy Guide, 4th edition"

Regards,
Rajnish

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:02 am
Hey Srinivas,

Gud debrief...So wat are th e plans for CR ??

by greenpui » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 am
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a problem with CR section because I just did Kaplan CAT ,and My Verbal scores is approximately 20!!!(18,20,22)
I got RC about 30% ,SC around 60% and CR about 15-30% correct.
How I can improve my CR.
Do you have any reccommend book(or only CR bible).