I DID IT (720) the second time around!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

How Many Times Do You Plan to Take or Have Taken the GMAT?

34%
45%
18%
4+
3%

Total votes: 38

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I DID IT (720) the second time around!

by RachelAL » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:55 am
This time I did it! I scored a 720, 96th percentile overall (90th percentile quant/85th percentile verbal/96th percentile overall) yesterday. Same as the Beat The GMAt site admin. Anyway, I was expecting to do much better on the verbal and not as well on the quant, but I will take it!

The first time I took the test, March 3rd, I scored a 650, 83rd percentile overall (73rd percentile quant/ 76th percentile verbal). I was disappointed and upset.

I took four practice tests the month before my first test and scored as follows:

1) 740 (MGMAT)
2) 700 (MGMAT)
3) 680 (GMATPrep)
4) 710 (GMATPrep)

The four practice tests I took before my second test, I scored as follows:

1) 680 (MGMAT)
2) 720 (MGMAT)
3) 690 (GMATPrep)
4) 740 (GMATPrep)

Most the practice tests I scored very well on the verbal, especially on MGMAT. However, on both the actual GMATs I did not score as well.

The first time I took the test I felt pretty good, like a had a good chance of breaking 700 (but didn't). The second time I was less confident, but did break 700! I certainly did not think I was doing that well on the math. I can't complain but I was hoping to break 90th percentile on my verbal, mostly because I was scoring so high on the practice tests. I think the MGMAT math is more difficult than the actual test but the MGMAT verbal is easier.

My study strategy was as follows:

Oct-Dec 2006: MGMAT Course

January - Feb 2007:
EVERY Math problem in OG 11th, including a thorough analysis of the answer explanations. I did the problems I got wrong, and was unsure of TWICE.

SOME of the verbal problems in OG 11th, including a thorough analysis of the answer explanations.

I logged all my answers and times. I purchased a stop watch, this really helped me get my timing down. At first I was having trouble getting through quant section, but I learned how to move on from a problem. I was getting too attached and felt like I HAD to answer it, truth is, if you can't get it 2 minutes, you probably won't get in 3 or 4.

Feb: Four practice Exams, once a week

March 3rd: GMAT #1 (650)

SECOND STUDY ROUND
I realized I needed to practice the verbal more. I thought I had the verbal down, so I did not study that much at first.

March 2007:
The more difficult problems in OG Quantitative
The more difficult problems in OG Verbal (CR and RC)
Medium and difficult problems in OG Verbal (SC)
Again including a thorough analysis of the answer explanations. I did the problems I got wrong and was unsure of TWICE. I logged my answers and times.
Four practice tests, once a week.

April 3rd: GMAT #2 720.

Hope this helps! I also hopes this encourages everyone to take the exam a second time if they do not do well the first time.

-Rachel
-Rachel

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

congrats

by aim-wsc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am
ouch! such a poll that is :lol:
congratulations! Rachel :)
we just had few successful second timers (read Fei )

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:58 pm
Congrats Rachel! That's a very nice improvement you made.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by scoutkb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:30 pm
Amazing score! Congrats! How did the course workout for you? I just started last weekend. Did you use the MGMAT challenge problems? Or just stick to the math books and OG? Also, can you give me some times on how to "analyze" the problems? I read the explination and try to absove it. Is that about it? Did you use the MGMAT rephrase technique for DS?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by RachelAL » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:01 am
The course was good. However, I think the effort I put in after the course is what got me my score.

I did not use the MGMAT challenge problems. During the class I did the homework in only the OG Verbal and Quant books, leaving OG 11th edition for after the class (I took the test 2.5 months after the class was over). My personal opinion was that it was more important for me to get a handle on actual GMAT problems rather than challanging MGMAT problems. However, taking MGMAT's exams was really helpful. The math section on their exams are challanging. If you can master their math problems, you will gain the skills needed to master the GMAT math. I will say though, GMAT math seemed to deal with number properties a bit more than MGMAT (my experience). It is really your preference though, if you think you have the time to put into MGMAT challenge problems, please do. I personally felt it was more important to master actual GMAT problems. I used the MGMAT technique of rephrasing DS problems, but on my own terms. I made a point to rephrase whenever I could, but did not need their chapters to help me. Again, rephrasing was something I was comfortable with, but if you need help, I am sure the strategy guide chapters will work. But definitely rephrase when you can.

I think MGMAT gives some good tips, but in each case you need to assess whether their tip will work for you. For example, i did not love the VICs strategy (Variable In Choices), however, it is a great tip for those the strategy works for.

Also, MGMAT has some great time managing tips (for me the most difficult aspect of the test).

The MGMAT Sentence Correction guide is great! However, i found the MGMAT verbal exam problems to be much easier than actual GMAT problems. Again, my experience.

As for analyzing the GMAT problems, I did as you said. Here is more detail: First i did the problems. When reviewing problems I got right, I quickly went over how I solved them in my head, and then read how GMAT suggests solving it. Sometimes, my way made more sense to me. If GMATs way made more sense, I re-did the problem the way they suggested and marked it for a second round. For the problems I got wrong, I tried to re-do them with no time limit (I was timing myself on problems with a stop watch). Then I went over the answers and marked all questions I got wrong for a second round. Then when I completed all the problems I wanted to, I went back for the second round, and did all the problems I marked again... and again went over the solutions.

I think timing yourself during practice is important, get a stop watch for 10 bucks. I did not start timing myself until after the class was done (working on OG 11). I logged all my answers and the time it took me. If I made sure to guess and move on even in practice. Then for the second round of these questions, I made sure I can complete the problem in ~2 minutes.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Also, I would suggest taking the exam closer to the end of the class (compared to how long I waited). I think a month and half is good.
-Rachel

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:50 am
Congratulations!
I hope my second time around is also good!
My strategy now is really analyze every single problem and work with a tutor in the quantittaive section.
Isis Alaska

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by scoutkb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:45 am
Awsome tips! Thanks for typing it all out. Information like this really helps refine the prep process. About how many hours did you devote to study during the week? I decided to drop my hours to 16 to 20 per week. I want to avoid burnout. I put in a considerable amount of work in SC and math to relearn the basics, so now i can focus on the GMAT problems. I also started taking notes on problems i miss and try to write down the main point that was stressed in a notebook. Hopefully that helps. What schools do you plan on applying to?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 pm
.. congrats rachel .. u deserve it ....

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How long to study for the GMAT?

by perrin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:33 am
Rachel,

Congrats on your score. I just have a question for you. I have only like 3 months to study for the GMAT. Do you think 3 months is enough time if I study 2 hrs. per day during the week and 10 hrs. on the weekend if I want to hit the 700 mark? or do you recommend I try and extend my study time over a longer period?

Thank you.