I AM REALLY SCARED...

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 am
TJIALPHA

Kaplan scores are not good indicators of the actual GMAT scores and hence I would not attach much importance to them. I would suggest you take a GMAT prep test from mba.com (you can download the software for free and it has two tests). Take a test now and see where you stand. Concentrate on the weak areas and probably few days before the test you can take the second one to see your comfort level.

Thanks
Prasanna

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 am
Kaplan scores are almost always lower than than the scores you might get on the actual exam. You can remove the scores from your mind and look forward on what needs to be done.

Wish you good luck

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:44 pm
I personally think nothing is as good as the OG books and GMATPrep. I started out by working with other prep course materials (PR, Kaplan, and Veritas), but my largest and most significant gains, not only in scoring but also in understanding the exam, came from working with the OG11 book. The problem with the third party materials is that it is subject to what their authors believe test-takers should focus on. As a result, questions often become too abstract, too complex, too long, too wordy, or too something. That is the major flaw in the system - they test what they teach not what the GMAT wants.

Is your course done? If so, I strongly suggest dropping the Kaplan material and working with the OG11 book and really, really focusing on every single question. Once you do this you should keep track of your weaknesses and strengths.

Look at your improvemnt: 450 to 660. That is excellent! So keep up the good work and work from the official materials.

You can read my blog here for detailed entries about my studies:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/errors-and-l ... t4899.html

If you look at my scores you will notice that I started at 550 then hit a high of 650 then went back down to the 550-570 range. After that, I made a steady progression up to the high 600s (this is when I started studying from the OG11) so do not be discouraged that your score dropped 60 points between tests!
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by yuri » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:28 am
My Kaplan subscription expires in 20 hours, and I had 2 things unfinished there. I logged in and finished them. What can I say after three months total preparations (two of Kaplan and month of OG). OG questions are way more logical and easier in a way. I am greateful to Kaplan for giving me strategies, building up stamina, and reviving math and geometry from 10 years ago, however I wish I had found this forum long ago. I still have 240 unsolved problems in OG, and my test is in one week (Nov 13). I'll definitely finish all of them, devote Saturday and Sunday reviewing my self-made flash cards and sleep in, eat well and pray on Monday. I started with 350 on Kaplan. Scored highest on Kaplan at 630. Then 650 on GMAC"s CAT1. Last week - 710 on CAT2. I wish I had another 3 weeks to really pound all of these tasks in my brain, on the other hand - I have to travel, and I am not sure I can keep this tensity and anxiety any longer. RIght now is definitely the upper side of the curve - I'll go ride it! So if my story with Kaplan is 350 - 630 now CAT 710 - you will be fine man with yours 450 - 660!!!. Expect 730 at least and relax and just let it be now :)