How TTP took me from 545 to a 715 GMAT Focus

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I first began my GMAT Focus exam journey in late January 2024 with a practice test that yielded starkly unsatisfying results. I didn't dwell on the results, but they echoed something like 545. Over the next four months, I took progressive steps to attain a score of 715 (99th percentile), with breakdowns for QR/VR/DI being (85/87/85) or 89/99/99th percentiles.

I was able to make such a drastic improvement because of a course a friend referred me to, Target Test Prep. I wasn't sold that this platform could have mastered an offering for the GMAT Focus at first, with its rollout having been so recent, but I decided to take the free trial and see what the course had to offer. As an Applied Math major in school and traditionally a very quantitative person I originally thought I didn't need extra help for the quant section. After just a few days, it was apparent that the course had an incredible amount of material that taught strategies in ways I could never have conceptualized. These unique approaches I had never taken even as somebody who studied Applied Math ultimately made the difference in my score.

I extended my membership in the course by two months and spent that time learning the different types of problems I might face. I made my first GMAT attempt 3 months after I began studying, and scored a 655, equivalent to roughly a 710 on the old GMAT. I was happy with this score but thought that I could do better. Target Test Prep had helped me with the rapid categorization of problems to lead to a solution, but I hadn't done enough practice problems to fully hone my execution.

For the month following my first GMAT Focus attempt, I reviewed the course materials and retook the tests Target Test Prep curated from questions I had gotten wrong. Through this specialized iterative process, I went in confidently to my second GMAT Focus attempt and landed a 99th percentile score. In the end, it is my full belief that I wouldn't have achieved this without the assistance of Target Test Prep and would highly recommend this course to anybody considering studying for the GMAT Focus.