How to prepare for 1st tutoring session?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I've now gone through 7 of the 8 MGMAT guides with note taking and answering questions at the end. It took about two months time and am now prepping for my first session with a tutor on monday.

I will be taking the 12th OG Diagnostic exam on saturday and will ave a better idea of what my strengths and weaknesses are. (I already have somewhat of an idea)

Any other tips or tricks you could give me in order to help me, help my tutor?

Thank you very much!

~Blake

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 pm
Go in with specific ideas of things that you struggle with. Use the tutor to learn all the things that you cannot figure out on your own. Also, go over strategy with the tutor. Strategy and approach. Ask him/her how did s/he approach each type of question. Learn an approach that works for you and perfect it with your tutor. Good luck.

by Does The GMAT beat back? » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:29 pm
thank you.

I also wanted to ask you as I read on another post of yours about "drilling". What exactly do you mean by that?

For instance:

When I go through the MGMAT chapters, I take notes and understand the content. Then I do the questions at the end (usually 60-70% of them but rarely ALL of them)

Then after the normal DS strategy for each guide, I will do "most" of the categorized 12th edition problems in PS first, then follow up with DS problems out of 12th OG. Again, I do most but def. not all questions at this point.

I also have not entered into advanced chapters for any of the MGMAT guides at this point. Can you offer any advice based on my approach?

P.S. I used CR bible instead of MGMAT guide as well.

Thanks!

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:32 pm
When I talk about drilling, what I mean is do problems from each specific topic regularly. For example, when I drill math, I do 2 problems from each chapter of every Manhattan GMAT guide. So I may do problem 7 and 8 in each chapter of every math guide. I had to be creative with geometry since I haven't purchased the MGMAT geometry guide yet. On verbal days, I do an LSAT Logical Reasoning section (25 questions) a reading comp section (4 passages total) and 20 SC questions.

by Does The GMAT beat back? » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:39 pm
I gotcha.

And you believe that LSAT material will be the best bet for verbal?

Where can one pick up LSAT material for practice testing?

~Blake

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm
Does The GMAT beat back? wrote:I gotcha.

And you believe that LSAT material will be the best bet for verbal?

Where can one pick up LSAT material for practice testing?

~Blake
Only use the LSAT material when you have a solid verbal foundation. You can buy past LSATs from amazon. Type in something like "the next 10 lsats". Only buy this if you run out of material. They do not give explanations, only answers.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:07 pm
I wouldn't begin with any LSAT guides until after you've met with your tutor X amount of times and have really run out of other materials. It may turn out that CR and RC are not your weak points. So taking the time to study the LSAT guides, may not be the most efficient use of your time.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm
money9111 wrote:I wouldn't begin with any LSAT guides until after you've met with your tutor X amount of times and have really run out of other materials. It may turn out that CR and RC are not your weak points. So taking the time to study the LSAT guides, may not be the most efficient use of your time.
Nah, the LSAT matetials aren't guides, they are past LSAT test to use to drill. It is a better option than using a prep company's materials because it is written by professional test makers, so the logic is going to be on point.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 pm
oh tests are good then... nothing wrong with some extra drilling. I guess i was thinking about that 500 page LSAT book... gives me a headache just thinking about it
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants