how to improve RC scoring points.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

how to improve RC scoring points.

by sp19 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:10 pm
Hi,
I have just given GMAT and got 530 with major failure in the verbal section. Though my target score is not very high, I did not expect to fail this miserably. I am retaking the test in 3 weeks, however, I have realised that my major drawback is RC.

I have gone through all possible advises to improve the RC score, but it is not consistent. At times I do good but most of the time I don't. Unlike, CR and SC I cannot develop the enthusiasm for questions in RC section. Can anyone please guide me on how to improve myself in 3 weeks and be able to get atleast 60th percentile in verbal scetion ?

I am able to get 70 - 80 th percentile in Quant without any issue. SC was improved greatly with the help of MGMAT AC guide, but since RC takes so much of time, it sometimes affect other questions in verbal section and hence, the overall score low for verbal.

Even with this bad performance I was able to get 60th percentile in verbal with MGMAT CAT tests but with GMATPrep I somehow cannot raise my score beyond 40-50th percentile. I am really depressed thinking I will again do badly on the real test.

Also, one point I noticed is that if you fail to do all 4-5 questions correctly in an RC, no matter what you do to the rest of the questions, your score will be very low. Especially with GMATPrep CAT. Has anyone faced the same issue ?

As I said I am not looking for a very very high score, can someone guide me how can I get the best within 3 weeks and get the average score in verbal and achieve my goal ?

Thanks,
sp

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by crak.gmat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:25 pm
Sorry not much guidance here, but wanted to share your pain, that if you do get a string of RCs wrong it does hit your score real bad. In one of my RCs I got all 3 questions wrong, and that did adversely impacted my overall score

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mouni » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:29 am
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your RC score. Maybe the problem is comprehending difficult words. Would you like to go through the tips available at www.grevocabulary.org ? You could learn tackling words easily.

Wish you all the best!

GMAT Score:730

by Carloblacksun » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:57 am
hallo

regarding Cat Prep material I have a similar experience, and I find these question EXTREMELY difficult, compared to OGs, for example...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:43 pm
your problem is not new words.

your problem is reading skill. More exactly, your problem is "paraphraing paragraph" you can practice this skill by reading the chapter " reading gmat way" in the "kalan gmat verbal workbook". you can find this book on the internet.

any question pls email me at [email protected], I am a vietnamese.

by rmpaes » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:35 pm
Is you problem reading comprehension or speed? Do you understand the paragraphs or simply wander? The biggest thing you can do to focus is to use your finger on the screen. This will help guide your eyes.
If you are really really struggling, you can use the following technique. First preview the passage. This means just quickly glance at the whole passage whether you understand it or not. Move very quickly like 30 seconds and try to look at as many words as possible. Then go back and reread the passage for comprehension. The fact that you just previewed it will help your brain fill in the meaning.
700+ your target then check out my 800 gmat blog here:
https://800gmatblog.zoxic.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by perfectstranger » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:46 am
Does reading National Geographic , Science Magazine and The Economist improve your score on RC ? Do you have any suggestions?
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:04 am
I had bookmarked this. Have a look, good if it helps ya. There are some resources mentioned by Stacey.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-under ... 20692.html

perfectstranger wrote:Does reading National Geographic , Science Magazine and The Economist improve your score on RC ? Do you have any suggestions?