How to Improve my SC accuracy?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to Improve my SC accuracy?

by sbharath » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm
Hi,

I am a non-native English speaker and my verbal baseline is not strong,especially the SC { credit to the MGMAT baseline test).

I am now working on my SC for the last 1 month - read the Aristotle SC Grail book and currently reading the MGMAT SC guide, until chapter 9. But when I attempt the OG 12 questions referenced at the end of each chapter, my accuracy is around 33% to 40% only - only 1/3rd of the questions are right.

1) How should I focus my studies to improve the SC accuracy?

2) Moreover, when I attempt the questions at the end of each chapter, I am unable to recall the concepts/strategies that should be applied to weed out the wrong options? Does it take time and come only by practice?

3) After reading the MGMAT SC guide, I find it very much intimidating, with only a collection of rules and grammar protocols. The book does not offer any structured strategy on how we should approach the questions and eliminate the wrong options. This is my personal opinion.

Please advice, how can I improve my SC. Does it need reading the MGMAT SC guide at least 3-4 times, reviewing the wrong questions and repetitive practice?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Bharath S

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 pm
Sentence corretion requires a very systematic approach and you need to develop that system so that you can take the test most efficiently.

I suggest you focus on the top 6 errors first and learn to identify how the test tests them. The 6 big errors are Subject/Verb, Parallelism, Misplaced Modifier, Pronoun, Idiom, and Verb Tense.

I also suggest you focus on one error at a time. for instance if you find that there is a subject/verb error only focus on that error and quickly check each of the answer choices to make sure that it corrects the error and then find the second error and check each answer choice -it may take 2-3 errors before you get to the correct answer. It is also very important to focus on eliminating answer choices that are wrong, instead of trying to find the correct answer.

Best of Luck
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA