How to deal with a low GPA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 am
Dear Siddartha,

Some schools have their own GPA conversion instructions and others rely on you, the candidate. The only way to get a good evaluation is to have it evaluated by a credentialing service like World Evaluation Services (www.wes.org) or Global Credential Evaluators. Schools in the US and EU are well aware of the scale in India, but having a professional service evaluate your transcript will give you and the schools the best idea of your performance.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ego227 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:38 pm
I received a BA in 2007 from a reputable (but non-ivy league) college in New England. My GPA was 2.9 with a double-major in Economics and Philosophy (on a side note, the economics department has an anti-inflation policy and grades on a bell curve with a class average of 80%, or 2.5 - I may be able to get a letter from a professor or dean regarding that issue). I was also a varsity athlete and involved in a handful of campus organizations. With 18 months of experience in banking (still employed) and two quality internships under my belt, what are my chances of getting into a top MBA program?

What kind of GMAT would help my case? I think I can score a 700+/-30. Will that get me over the hump?

Most of the schools I have been researching post average accepted applicants with GPAs > 3.4 and 4+ years of work experience. Will a solid GMAT realistically be enough to overcome a weak GPA and below-average work experience? How big of a difference will another year of work experience make? How about if I enroll in a handful of night-courses beginning in January?

I know that is a lot to address, but would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance,
M

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Dear M,

To mitigate your GPA, I think taking a few math courses would be helpful. It will demonstrate your ability to succeed in the classroom now and how serious you are about going to business school. To be competitive for a top 20 program, a GMAT in the 700s is best; anything less than a 650 in your case might not be enough. You would have 2.5 years of work experience by next fall, so that is not a deal breaker, but you will be on the low end. As such, it is imperative you convey why now is the right time and your maturity to handle business school. If you will not be promoted or take on greater responsibility in the next couple of years, then it is not worth waiting. But if you will be progressing, then it might be worth it to wait another year.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sireev » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:40 am
I have a very low undergrad GPA of 2.5 (graduated in 1998).Did not realize the importance of education back then.I have done my MS from 98-2000 and came out with a 3.82 GPA(2000 graduate).I have been working in the IT industry since then and had many promotions in my work experience of 8 yrs.I gave my GMAT and received a score of 650 just two days ago.I do not have any extra curricular activities.

Can you provide some guidance on what schools in New England would work best for me?Also is there even a remote chance of getting into a top B school?

GMAT Score:700

Plz tell my chances

by getbacktosrinu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:16 am
Hi

I am Srinivas from India. I want to get into one of the top 20 bschools in the U.S.

I have written the GMAT twice. First time I got 600 and AWA 5.0. Second time I got 700 and same AWA.

Now my problem is I am a fresher. I have absolutely no work experience. And I have a percentage of 62.5%. Almost all the top universities say that would translate into a GPA of 2.8 to 3.0.

But I believe that my application essays are good. Also me and a couple of friends started a small web designing firm while we were still studying. (It has gone off to a slow start). I want to get in next year ie 2009.

How many universities should i apply to? I was planning to apply to only 2 or 3 because ppl keep telling me the odds stink.
Do I have a chance of getting into any of the top universities? Because I need to know if a chance exists. I will take that chance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:03 pm
Dear Srinivas,

I'm not sure what you consider a "top" school, so I will answer you with the assumption you mean a top 20 program. With no work experience and your GPA, I think it is unlikely you will get into a top 20 program applying this late. Your GMAT score is good for 5 years, so I think you would be better served to get 2-3 years of quality work experience before applying to business school.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by batman321123 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:50 pm
Hi,

First of all, great site here with a lot of informative posts and resources. Thanks very much.

I'm another student stuck with a low GPA. I'll be graduating (undergrad, BComm - Accounting) this year. I will be working for a government agency in Ottawa (tax audit) and intend to pursue a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation. I should be done that in about 3 years from now. I also have 1 year of full time coop experience, and 1 year of part-time experience in the accounting field.

I intend to write the GMAT in late 2009. I have no idea what I'll score, but one of my professors told me to ensure I hit 700, so let's assume I can get that.

Now to the horrible GPA. I've currently got a B average, but it will be closer to a B+ once the year is over. I've failed one Accounting course twice, and got a D- in another one. I have since retaken both, getting a B- each time.

I should note that my marks are not due to a lack of aptitude, but moreso due to my inability to study properly for whatever reason. I screwed up, and I fully accept responsibility for that.

I would like to get into either of Ivey or Rotman in Ontario or a Top 20 in the States. I'm hesitant of expanding the list of schools simply because I don't know how well schools outside of the Top 20 range are regarded in Canada. Also, after speaking to a professor, he's convinced me that I would be better off working and progressing in my career rather than going to a school that isn't ranked too high.

In light of my situation, do I have a shot? If not, how can I increase my chances? For whoever reads this, I thank you in advance.

EDIT: Is public sector experience weighted less than private sector? I know it wouldn't really be an advantage (lazy gov't employees!), but would it put me at any disadvantage?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:46 pm
Dear batman321123,

It is not private vs. public sector experience that matters, but what you do with any job that you have between college and business school. Make the most of your career opportunities so you have successful leadership and teamwork experiences you can write about in your applications. Being able to show career progressions, not just in title but in scope of responsibilities, is key to a competitive application.

As for your transcript, you can't change it now. It is good that you are finishing strong and a high GMAT score (>680) will mitigate the lower GPA. Solid, progressive work experience will further demonstrate your ability to handle business school.

I think you are on the right track to be thinking about what you need to do now. Just maximize your opportunities and you will be competitive when the time comes.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by batman321123 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:55 pm
Thanks for the reply, Lisa. Working in a unionized environment will definitely mean little to no change in job duties for 3 years. That's just the way it works in that place, so I might have to look for something else.

low gpa

by cherishraj14 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:03 pm
Hi

I am a mechanical engineering graduate from a reputed engineering school in India. My college doesnt have a GPA system but I think it would fall in the 2.5 to 2.8 range which is low by any standards. I took the GMAT and scored 670(Q 47 V 36). After college I started a business hotel of my own with a capital of $ 1 million in an Indian town and the hotel is doing fine. Now I want to pursue an MBA to enhance my skills. Im also an executive committee member of the hotelier's guild operating in my state. Im involved in community service as well.

My undergraduate score card is my greatest worry. I wasnt awarded the degree as soon as I had completed my course since I had backlogs. So I took a few years off to start my enterprise and once the business got established I cleared the backlogs and earned my degree.

What are my chances of getting into a B school in the top 25 list. The schools am considering are McCombs, Smith, Krannet, Kenan Flager and Illinois.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:23 pm
Dear cherishraj14,

With your below average GPA and at/below average GMAT, I think it is a reach for you to enter a top 25. There is a possibility depending on how well you put your overall application together. However, you will look below average relative to other applicants from India. I would encourage you to take the GMAT again if you believe you can increase your score and to look at some other schools ranked between 30 and 50.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

low gpa

by cherishraj14 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:23 am
Dear Lisa
Thanks for posting your judicious comment. But dont u think its too late to retake the GMAT? Can you suggest some of the good schools ranked between 30 and 50? Do adcoms compare candidates applying from the same country? I ask you this bcoz the median GMAT scores for the schools I had mentioned is in the 665 to 675 range but I have heard that applicants from India tend to score higher in the GMAt.

And thanks once again

Cherish

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm
Dear Cherish,

Yes, applicants from the same country are compared to one another and many from India tend to score over 700. I would suggest looking at schools with GMAT averages in the 600-650 range as a safety option. It is not too late to take the GMAT again, but you will need to take it by early December for many round 2 deadlines.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Hi

I am an accountant from South America and I am studying for the GMAT .

Now I am also taking some courses at a Community College here in USA. I am taking this classes to improve myself rather than to get a grade. However since this courses are graded and my GPA from my undergrad studies in South America is below 3.00, I would like to know if the GPA of the courses that I am taking now will affect my overall GPA and therefore my chances to be accepted at a top school.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Andrea

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm
Dear Andrea,

The grades will not be factored into your GPA. However, if you perform well in these courses then they will help make your case that you are prepared to handle business school now and succeed in the classroom.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me