How many questions can you miss and still get a 40 V?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Does anyone know how many questions you can miss and still get a 40 V?
Our collective understanding of the GMAT grows through research, contribution, and teamwork. If you found a problem or comment challenging, helpful, or encouraging, please consider hitting the THANKS button!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm
tonebeeze wrote:Does anyone know how many questions you can miss and still get a 40 V?
That's a very difficult question to answer. It really depends on the level of the questions you answer incorrectly vs the number of questions you answer incorrectly.

When I was writing the article Taking the GMATPrep Practice Tests Multiple Times (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times), I took GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

I'm fairly confident that you'd get the same results on the verbal side. So, it's not about how many questions you answer incorrectly; it's about the level of difficulty of the questions you answer incorrectly.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com