How I scored a 520 and a 790 (FICTION)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How I scored a 520 and a 790 (FICTION)

by ddp84 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 am
I will get back with a comprehensive monologue on how this was assertained.

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

Re: How I scored a 520 and a 790

by wildrebel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:04 am
ddp84 wrote:I will get back with a comprehensive monologue on how this was assertained.

Haha, the suspense is killing me.

Update soon!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Rishabh » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm
Hi

we are still waiting ..:)

regards
Rishabh

re:

by ddp84 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 am
Well little about my background first. I graduated from Harvard with a double major in nuclear engineering and english literature. For my first gmat exam I read through princeton review, did a few tests and showed up to the testing center, where I was completely off be with with the time frame or mentally. I basically had text anxiety, a brain freeze and lack of lenghty stamina, in addition to my mental fatigue caused after over application of my brain in the awa essays. So all of this led to my ego shattering and dismall score of 520. ( though i scored a 6 on the awa essays)

Now I decided, If i want to go to half way decent mba program. I needed to get a better score than what I currently had achieved.

I bought every book available in the market, from princeton review, kaplan, official guides, arco, 800 gmat, manhattan gmat, barrons gmat practice guide, Insiders guide to the gmat ( Karl Weber), Cracking the gmat: PR, and Petersons Ultimate Gmat Tool Kit.

Now This might sound outlandish, but when you set a goal of achieving a high score, you must realize, if its worth having a good score, anything worth having takes discpline and humungous sacrifice. I booked a flight to Tibet, which is located in the southern part of China. I stayed in a hostel by myself, for 4 months. Once a week I would join a lecture session of the Teachings of the Buddha " Dhammapada ", a few hours, which would focus on questions of human suffering, the nature of life, nature of human beings etc. This gave me a certain dose of calmness and peace to my mind.

I stayed in Tibet for four months, and from morning to evening for 4 months, six and half days a week, all i did was complete every gmat book available on the market twice. Their is a computer cyber cafe in tibet, where I did my practice exams from pr, kaplan, manhattan, official guides etc. I had no life, no friends, some food, away from normal civilization, I lived and breathed the gmat for months.

If you want to achieve a score that high, this sort of committment is probably neccessary. But I went to an extreme. I gave my test a few days ago, when I took my flight back to newyork city. I walked out of the test center with a 790. But the path I choose to become a virtual hermit may not be for everyone, but I believe it is possible to improve your score if you have the fortitude and discipline ( from 520 to 790 is basically a 270 point jump).

My word of advice to future gmat takers is read the life of the buddha, i am not a buddhist, im a catholic kid from queens. But his surreal outlook on life, and his teachings in the dhammapada made me realize. The questions in the gmat have answers, and they are given to you, you just have to choose from them. The questions the buddha uncovers, some of them dont have answers.

So good luck, i will post again

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:27 pm
Very impressive improvement! Congratulations!

I think however that it is absolutely possible to maintain a work/life balance during your GMAT prep. Doing well on the GMAT by no means requires isolating yourself from society to exclusively focus on the test.

In any case, you certainly have a fantastic story!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

sorry

by ddp84 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:38 am
Well,

I am sorry. I would ask the moderator of this board to remove my previous post. I havent given the gmat yet, I was a little high couple nights ago. The whole story was a work of fiction. This is what english lit majors from harvard do when they have nothing to do.

My apologies, I believe its unfair to keep a post like that and lead some one on. Good luck on your gmat.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cooldude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:13 am
:shock: :roll: :evil: :?:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:51 am
You are certainly creative. In the future, I would avoid writing posts while on drugs. :D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Rishabh » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:39 am
Hi,

I dont think that we need to remove this post...
It can act as a booster for a lot of other people still in queue to appear for GMAT (of course after editing the part of moving to tibet and staying there)....at least it did for me..:)

Whaddya say ?

regards,
Rishabh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:16 am
I want to keep it. It's a pretty humorous thread.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:51 am
Booooooooooooohooooo :roll:

i couldnt resist to post a comment here..because i knew all that Buddha/ Tibet thing.
i actually experienced it.
i wanted to talked with the thread-starer, once i come back to home that is today, i noticed the development took place in mean time.

& now i am speechless.

this reminds me to the goof thread started by some idiot on some other GMAT related forum website.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

check this out.

by aim-wsc » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:01 pm
OH :shock:
and why should i feel shy to disclose the name of that GMAT related forum board where all this fun happened.

well, the thread starter got all the attention he wanted... & later as thread grew people started finding holes in the thread-starters statements.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32839

People,
enjoy the experience, GMAT club members had.
How they goofed up. :)
Today GMAT club mods have edited the thread, thread title and even thread starter's user name. :lol:
still it will be fun going through whole post.

[please note that:
this could have happened to any site so i am not laughing at GMAT Club bytheway.]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: well..

by kulksnikhil » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:20 am
Dear Outlaw !!

That was a cool thread... great creativity !! that did put a smile on my face !!

by victory1708 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:58 pm
This is so great. Sorry, I just think it is too good to be in the last page so I just want to pull it up to the first page. My friends, you all need to relax with some good fun joke

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 pm
Hmmm, I don't think that's such a bad study strategy...
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep