How I bombed on GMAT after 4 months of prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Long time lurker and 1st time poster. Let me give you folks a briefing of how I krunked (like ICE-T the rapper says) up on GMAT. I was hoping to get around 680-700 and got......

Study Guides - MGMAT,OG11 guides, Old GMAT Sets, Princeton Review Math & Verbal ,1000SC,1000CR,1000RC, 1000 DS, 1000 PS and did 10 practice tests, SC Notes from TestMagic forums
2 powerprep - 600 (without any practice), 690 with practice
2 GMATPrep - 650,650 (44Q,34V)
4 MGMAT - 600,620,630,630 (40-44Q, 30-35V)

I spent 3 hours (mon-fri) and atleast 6+ hours on sat & sun over the past 3 months. So, I cannot blame myself for a lack of effort

BTW, I took GMATFocus and it predicted a Q Score of 44-49 which was close to my GMAT prep scores in Q

And guess what happened!!! a miserable 550 (39Q, 27V). I still couldn't believe it even now as how could I do so poorly after all the preparation.

I did well in my AWA section and started off well in math. After a few questions, I started to see that the questions became relatively easy and I knew it right away that I bombed the math section. In Verbal, I was cruising along and got some tough RC passages and I thought I did reasonably well in Verbal when compared to Math and was able to complete the section on time with very few guesses.

I expected around 670-680 since I felt pretty comfortable with my verbal component and viola.....the score pops up and my eyes pop out and I kept staring at the screen for a few minutes in utter disbelief.

After reading some posts, I am more determined than ever before to make sure that I get that the magical 700!!!

I am planning to take it again in the 1st week of March and planning to take a class from Veritas since I exhausted MGMAT and OG11 material

From what I heard from friends who aced this test (high 700's), GMAT became tougher and tougher over the past few years and getting a 700 is not as easy as it used to be (lets say 5 years back). I am not sure if it is true (OR) a bunch of B.S

For folks out there who are in the same boat as myself, like Jimmy V used to say. You can tame this monster.
"DONT' GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP"!!!! :

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by smalishah84 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:04 pm
A nice inspirational post. It will keep people pumped up to go at the GMAT with full force. Good luck for your second attempt.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rio_blue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:10 pm
where did you get 1000DS and 1000PS from?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by rajibgmat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm
Dude...superbrat123 Don't fall into another trap of disappointment by taking Veritas Prep course. I took their course, but its not worth. Probably MGMAT would be a good deal.

by superbrat123 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:57 pm
Hello Rajibgmat,

Thanks for the feedback regarding VeritasPrep.

The problemo is that MGMAT is not offering a prep course in Dallas in the next few months. I definitely agree that MGMAT is better.

Is VeritasPrep that bad ? I heard some positive feedback. Please let me know as it would be a double-whammy otherwise

by superbrat123 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 pm
rio_blue wrote:where did you get 1000DS and 1000PS from?
Shoot me an e-mail to "[email protected]" and I will send you the files..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by papagoose » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 pm
I am in Tucson and MGMAT does not offer a class here as well. I recommend taking the online class which I felt gave me more than a class room course. Same teachers, coursework with voice and instant help ( you don't have to raise your hand for every teeny weeny question, you can just ask it! )

So that is definately a good choice if you think MGMAT is a good course.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:18 pm
i'm in mgmat online right now, no complaints.

by superbrat123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:43 pm
niraj_a wrote:i'm in mgmat online right now, no complaints.
Hmm...I did 4 MGMAT tests and went over each question bank as well as all of their guides. Are they teaching the content from the study guides as part of the class ?

2008 BTG-VPFastTrack Scholarship Winner!

by lisyuan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 pm
superbrat123 wrote:Hello Rajibgmat,

The problemo is that MGMAT is not offering a prep course in Dallas in the next few months. I definitely agree that MGMAT is better.

Is VeritasPrep that bad ? I heard some positive feedback. Please let me know as it would be a double-whammy otherwise
I would have to disagree. I think these two courses are quite different from each other. I agree Math and SC are definitely superb, but CR and RC Veritas is better.

V is a better course for people who forgot all their math, someone like me, who needs to rebuild their foundation from the start. GMAT's math is for people who has some foundation with math, and are looking for breaking the 700 barrier.

I scored over 90% with my OG practices with Veritas, I really like the approach they taught me. I used that same approach, and I scored really well in the MGMAT bank question CR section, I had all 700-800 questions right at first try without any hesitation. When with MGMAT, I only scored about 70%, and only hitting the 300-500 questions right. ( I took the MGMAT class first)

Same with RC.

So, I would really say that V and GMAT are very different. Depending what you are looking for, either one can be the best.

by superbrat123 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:12 pm
lisyuan wrote:
superbrat123 wrote:Hello Rajibgmat,

I would have to disagree. I think these two courses are quite different from each other. I agree Math and SC are definitely superb, but CR and RC Veritas is better.

V is a better course for people who forgot all their math, someone like me, who needs to rebuild their foundation from the start. GMAT's math is for people who has some foundation with math, and are looking for breaking the 700 barrier.

I scored over 90% with my OG practices with Veritas, I really like the approach they taught me. I used that same approach, and I scored really well in the MGMAT bank question CR section, I had all 700-800 questions right at first try without any hesitation. When with MGMAT, I only scored about 70%, and only hitting the 300-500 questions right. ( I took the MGMAT class first)

Same with RC.

So, I would really say that V and GMAT are very different. Depending what you are looking for, either one can be the best.

Thanks for the feedback. I am an engineer by profession, so basic math is relatively straight forward to me. The only issue I run into is when I do some advanced DS questions and some probability questions

I even went through the 3 hour online class of SC and DS from Manhattan for 750+ students (borrowed the recording from a friend). The SC section was very helpful.

I can definitely use some help in RC and CR since it seems to be the weak link based on my MGMAT tests so far. I am consistently bombing in the 700 level questions.