How do you relearn math not used in more than a decade?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi all. Looking for a little advice here. I haven't used anything beyond basic math in more than a decade, so I've lost pretty much all the math I learned in school. And even when I was in a classroom five days a week, math was not my best subject. I need to rebuild a foundation before attempting another GMAT course (I just finished one, and realized after the second class I simply did not have the math skills necessary to complete the coursework).

Ideally I'm looking for some kind of course, with daily sessions and homework designed to reinforce the previous lessons, that lasts for a couple weeks. I've seen all day boot camps (which sound like a BAD idea. 90 minutes in and I'm sure I'd be overwhelmed.), and programs that offer a couple of 3 hour sessions. Neither option really seems sufficient to rebuild math competency lost from more than a decade of disuse.

Any suggestions?

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:12 am
Kaplan offers an intensive math refresher course that is available online or on-site (in specified markets). It focuses not just on math, but on the math needed fro the GMAT.

https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/GMAT-Prep/C ... where.html

If you are good at working through material on your own, you could find a good math text book (your undergraduate program may might be willing to tell you what text they use for a remedial math course). Also, community colleges and online services have basic math courses. These could be very helpful, but a GMAT-oriented course would probabaly get you where you need to be more efficiently and quickly.

If you have trouble grasping concepts on your own, Kaplan could also find you a math-only tutor to help you get started.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

by kamatimbrell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Thank you for the information. I'm in New York, so I imagine I can find classroom instruction here.

I've been pretty shocked at how little the test prep companies actually offer in terms of refresher courses for the math. Even if they aren't able to offer the courses themselves, I'm surprised at how little guidance I've found to relearn a subject that until now, has had zero relevance in my life since leaving school. (Proving my sixteen year-old self right.)

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:32 pm
I admit you won't need geometry in b-school, but cases are just great big, thinly-disguised word problems and concepts such as averages are everywhere. Trust me, you'll need those numbers in school and beyond. I know it's not fun, but hang in there.
Tani Wolff

by srob55 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 am
Buy the Foundations of GMAT Math book from Manhattan GMAT. I highly recommend going through this book first and then delving into their math strategy guides. They also offer 2 online classes in Math Foundations but I found the book to be very thorough. I took the Manhattan GMAT course without reviewing this book first and was completely lost after not doing math for 10 years.

GOOD LUCK and stay positive! My confidence in math is back and the Foundations book really helped me get there.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by roshnipat1610 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 pm
srob55 wrote:Buy the Foundations of GMAT Math book from Manhattan GMAT. I highly recommend going through this book first and then delving into their math strategy guides. They also offer 2 online classes in Math Foundations but I found the book to be very thorough. I took the Manhattan GMAT course without reviewing this book first and was completely lost after not doing math for 10 years.

GOOD LUCK and stay positive! My confidence in math is back and the Foundations book really helped me get there.
I agree. I have just started going through the book and it has made a world of difference. Very good introduction to the concepts used in the MGMAT Quant strategy guides.

I was very overwhelmed at first with all the math, not having seen any of this in ages. Strange, Math used to be my favorite subject back in high school, college and grad school!! Guess the saying, if you dont use it, you lose it, is true!!!