How did I do on the GMATPrep test? Confused...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi!

I'm taking the GMAT in a couple of weeks! I started prepping last week. The reason behind this extremely short prep period is that I just decided to apply to a few programs recently, and now the race is on to get my apps in on time for Fall 2009.

I began by taking the GMATPrep Practice Test 1 and I scored a 670. I don't remember the broken-down scores. My question is whether this is an accurate representation of my abilities on the real test. I didn't get to complete the math section because I ran out of time. I got to number 31 out of 37 I think.

Does the GMATPrep practice test give a penalty for non-completion like the actual test? Everyone keeps saying that the test is the most accurate predictor of performance on the actual test, but is it true in this case?

If I didn't even get to the ast 6 questions of the test, how high would my score have been if I had been better at time management? Or did the practice test not impose a penalty?

Based on my initial score of 670 before studying, is it possible for me to reach 700+ two weeks from now? I've been working really hard on Critical Reasoning because I think that's my weakest area. I am relying on a strategy of 'simple and clean' - I'm only using the Official Guide and the Verbal and Quantitative review to prepare.

Also, when I took the SAT's, I scored a good 40-50 points higher on timed practice tests than I did on the actual test. But I did manage to improve my score from 1280 to 1380, and my SAT II Writing Score was 750. I don't know if SAT progress and performance are indicators of GMAT progress and performance, but maybe?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

!!

by TedCornell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 pm
I'm surprised that you scored that high with 6 unanswered questions. You must have been on a roll!

Yes GMATPrep is indeed accurate.

In 2 weeks, and given how your test went, I would suggest that you work on your pacing. Take the other GMATPrep, go over the solutions to figure out how you did and how you can improve. Delete and retake the test, and go over the solutions again.

(I use the GMATFix Solutions Engines to study lessons and solutions from GMATPrep exams)

Best of luck!

Re: !!

by henryhenry » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:31 pm
TedCornell wrote:I'm surprised that you scored that high with 6 unanswered questions. You must have been on a roll!

Yes GMATPrep is indeed accurate.

In 2 weeks, and given how your test went, I would suggest that you work on your pacing. Take the other GMATPrep, go over the solutions to figure out how you did and how you can improve. Delete and retake the test, and go over the solutions again.

(I use the GMATFix Solutions Engines to study lessons and solutions from GMATPrep exams)

Best of luck!
Pls stop promoting your gmatfix in this forum.Folks need help to ace GMAT not through your almighty gmatfix you are implictly advertising here all the time.
Folks should beware of this guy.

by ken3233 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:53 am
The experts on this board say that, on the real GMAT, a person will most likely perform within 50 points of their score on their last GMATPrep test. Right now, your true testing ability is probably in the 620 to 720 range.

A person's score on the real test can be somewhat lower or higher than their prep test scores depending on how they cope with anxiety and stress. Some people experience reduced mental capacity because of stress, others experience adrenaline highs.
Last edited by ken3233 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

by ken3233 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:58 am
Mixpanda:

If I may offer some more advice, it would be a good idea for you to take a GMAT practice test everyday between now and the test date. Taking the practice tests everyday will ensure that you have peak timing and pacing capacity on the real test.

The tests you should take, in my opinion, are the two GMATPrep tests (take them again), the two GMAT PowerPrep tests, and possibly the MGMAT GMAT tests (available on their website for a fee).

Daily practice enhances mental acuity on these kinds of tests.

by mixpanda » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 pm
Thanks for the advice! I have three computer practice tests I can take. I will take one of the GMAT PowerPrep tests tomorrow, the other one next week, and then GMATPrep Practice Test 2 a couple days before test day.

And as for my temperament, I'm usually perfectly calm during tests! My philosophy has always been that you can only do the best you can do, so do your best!

My test is on May 4th! Goal: 700.

WOO!