how are the GMAT section scores computed?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

how are the GMAT section scores computed?

by arawamis » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:43 pm
I got Q50 with 9 wrong answers (that is my interpretation of what I saw on the screen. I saw something like 9/37) at GMAT Prep test. I believe 9 wrong answers out of 37 questions are horrible. I don't understand how come someone can get Q50 with that many mistakes. Is something wrong with the software or is it how it is in GMAT? Back in the time I got 800 from GRE Quantitative with no mistakes at all (GMAT does not have those pain in the butt data suff questions, though). As far as I remeber just couple of wrong asnwers were enough to pull your Q score down significantly. Is it not like that in GMAT?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by solaris » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 pm
This has been discussed several times. There is NO significant relationship between the number of questions you get wrong and your final scaled score. The GMAT scoring algorithm apparently considers several factors, including the level of difficulty of the questions you get wrong etc. In addition there are a number of experimental questions that are not scored on the actual exam as well as on GMATPrep.

It's best you don't dwell on this too much. I've managed a q49 with 13 mistakes.