Herbert Morrison

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 am
Prepostional phrase can modify a noun or a verb as in the A and E. I find it hard to understand the right position of prepostional phrase modifying a verb.

anyone has any experience on this point, pls, share. Thank you

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tissime » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:48 am
Hi everyone! This forum is wonderful. I am not a native speaker, and I'm having some problems on this SC...

Can someone explains why broadcast is written as is? It should be broadcasts, no?

Thanks,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sapana » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 pm
i think we need some commas in the question which will help us better comprehend the question. it took me more than 6 minutes to figure out hat is going on in the sentence. Aren't there commas after ----broadcast and before ---in a passionate...?

by mikalyllau » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:10 pm
A is gone - double that is confusing and awkward
B is alright, except GMAT tends to hate using "being"
C A passionate account that stunned listeners modifying a person sounds weird
D of the fire that...following by 2 verbs is awkward
EEEEE

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tarik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm
By elimination I chose E

by kbmanikandan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 am
Option D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Java_85 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 am
IMO E

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm
it must be E
D says that HM passionately accounted the scene? HM accounted the scene or he broadcast the only live radio report. again D says that HM passionately accounted the scene to stunned listeners. it seems his motive was to stunned the listeners. But that is not the case. HM broadcast the live report from the scene of the fire as he was so passionate and that is what stunned listeners. E explains this meaning very well and placed the modifier at the right place.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by dinesh86 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:53 am
Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg in a passionate account that stunned listeners.

(A) Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg in a passionate account that stunned listeners - Wrong placement of modifier. It seems that 'Destroying' was happened in a passionate account.
(B) In a passionate account that stunned listeners, Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report, being on the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg - Being brings Passive voice to sentence and often wrong on GMAT. Moreover, it seems that HM is still at sight of fire.
(C) The only live radio report was broadcast by Herbert Morrison, a passionate account that stunned listeners, from the scene of the fire destroying the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg - Wrong placement of modifier. 'a passionate account' seems to specify the HM. Moreover, present participle 'destroying' is wrong in this context.
(D) Broadcasting the only live radio report, Herbert Morrison passionately accounted the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg to stunned listeners - Wrong placement of modifier. It seems that 'Destroying' was done to the stunned listeners.
(E) In a passionate account that stunned listeners, Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg - Correct.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaspreetsra » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:58 am
Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg in a passionate account that stunned listeners.

(A) Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg in a passionate account that stunned listeners.
(B) In a passionate account that stunned listeners, Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report, being on the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg.
(C) The only live radio report was broadcast by Herbert Morrison, a passionate account that stunned listeners, from the scene of the fire destroying the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg.
(D) Broadcasting the only live radio report, Herbert Morrison passionately accounted the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg to stunned listeners.
(E) In a passionate account that stunned listeners, Herbert Morrison broadcast the only live radio report from the scene of the fire that destroyed the German Zeppelin the Hindenburg.

Shortlisted C and E