Help with the following CR questions

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun May 29, 2011 10:28 pm
sivaelectric wrote:
The inflation in Gambonia last year was 7 percent, but this year it has dropped to 5 percent. We can thus conclude that the inflation is on a downward trend in Gambonia, and that the inflation will be even lower next year.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument given above?

(A)The inflation figures were based on a statistical sample and not the entire data.
(B)Last year, a crop failure of essential commodities had led to a hike in inflation.
(C)Decrease in the rate of growth of prices and wages can lead to lesser inflation.
(D)Last year's inflation figure was an all-time high.
(E)Exports can help in stabilizing inflation to a great extent.
7 is the initial inflation and then it reduces to 5. so it's said to take a downward trend. The question is which weakens the argument most? Now look at the B answer. When there is a crop failure, there will be high prices due to more demand. So inflation would be high. But this need not necessarily mean that the inflation will go down after that. There is no relation between them. Hope I am right with the explanation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
As you said there is not relation, so how does it weakens the argument. (It is neutral and thus neither supports nor weakens it)
In E - Exports can help in stabilizing inflation and thus we can't say inflation will be even lower next year. Please explain in detail.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 pm
@Cans, Can you please explain me how Exports will stabilize. When the export is indiscriminate, wont it increase the inflation again? Is it not? So it can't be an apt explanation to the inflation fluctuation.
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun May 29, 2011 11:50 pm
Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument given above?
E) Exports can help in stabilizing inflation to a great extent.
Its written if true. I don't know how exports will help in stabilizing inflation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 am
@knight247 whats the source ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:56 am
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by knight247 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Did u just copy it off from https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... uestions-3
I'm the one who posted it on 'ask the expert'...This was from a question bank of a particular GMAT coaching institute in my city. A friend of mine attended a while back and gave me all his books,notes etc from that institute.