Help: best resources for Quant prep

This topic has 4 expert replies and 3 member replies
dperezc Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages

Help: best resources for Quant prep

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 pm
Hi -

I want to apply to B-School this year and haven't studied math in 10 years. I plan to do the GMAT on November, but in the last Veritas Prep exam I scored 540 and my goal is 710.

I know I should start studying again Math, do you have any suggestion in terms of self-study materials I can use to improve?

Thanks,
Dave

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Posted:
6 messages
Top Reply
Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm
You are correct, I've been studying sporadically without a clear focus or a firm set of materials.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I haven't taken any other practice CAT.
2) I believe I can commit to 10-12 hours per week.

What materials would you recommend for self-study?

Thanks,
David

Rich.C@EMPOWERgmat.com wrote:
Hi Dave,

From what you've described, your studies so far sound more like you've been sporadically working through random subjects/questions than following any specific Study Plan. To hit your score goal, that will have to change - you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to raise your score to a 710+. That having been said, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

It's unlikely that BYU 'requires' a 710+, so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" (to get into BYU) are likely not the same thing.

1) Have you taken any other practice CATs besides the one that you mentioned? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages
Top Reply
Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:
I've also noticed over the years that students who start out above average (or better) in verbal and average (or worse) in math tend to improve much more than students who start strong in math and weak in verbal, so take heart! You can definitely improve, it's just a matter of acquainting yourself with the material and drilling the basics of mathematical thinking.
Thanks, Matt, I hope that turns out to be true. What specific materials would you recommend for me to being studying Math for GMAT? I am referring to specific books, etc.

I appreciate your help and encouragement.
David

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages
Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm
You are correct, I've been studying sporadically without a clear focus or a firm set of materials.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I haven't taken any other practice CAT.
2) I believe I can commit to 10-12 hours per week.

What materials would you recommend for self-study?

Thanks,
David

Rich.C@EMPOWERgmat.com wrote:
Hi Dave,

From what you've described, your studies so far sound more like you've been sporadically working through random subjects/questions than following any specific Study Plan. To hit your score goal, that will have to change - you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to raise your score to a 710+. That having been said, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

It's unlikely that BYU 'requires' a 710+, so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" (to get into BYU) are likely not the same thing.

1) Have you taken any other practice CATs besides the one that you mentioned? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages
Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:
I've also noticed over the years that students who start out above average (or better) in verbal and average (or worse) in math tend to improve much more than students who start strong in math and weak in verbal, so take heart! You can definitely improve, it's just a matter of acquainting yourself with the material and drilling the basics of mathematical thinking.
Thanks, Matt, I hope that turns out to be true. What specific materials would you recommend for me to being studying Math for GMAT? I am referring to specific books, etc.

I appreciate your help and encouragement.
David

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 am
Hi Dave,

The 710 score is about the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers will never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT. To hit that score, you will need to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. By extension, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: Lavina Yadav

GMAT/MBA Expert

Matt@VeritasPrep GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2640 messages
Followed by:
113 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
V51
GMAT Score:
Most Active Expert Most Responsive Expert Most Thanked Expert
Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:33 pm
Hi Dave,

Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 68 topics
3 swerve 65 topics
4 ardz24 65 topics
5 Roland2rule 64 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

198 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

181 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

134 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

119 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts