Harvard education options

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by immaculatesahai » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 am
I correctly managed to eliminate A,B,D and E. I am overjoyed to see that my answer is correct. C it is.

Was a tough one.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:OA is C.

Really nice job getting submitting your answers and explanations...Jaxis gave a particularly good explanation! Right on the money.

Official Explanation:

This is an Inference question, so the best approach is to eliminate those choices that could be false. This is a tricky question because it looks like they all could be false!!

Answer (A) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Similarly, answer (B) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Answer (D) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about what, if any, degrees other than the Ph.D the FAS can grant. Answer (E) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about the similarities or differences between the two programs except for the fact that the degrees are granted by two different sets of faculty. Answer (C) is the right choice because the "some" in the answer includes the possibility of "all" and, according to the passage, all students in the Ph.D. Program can only have their degrees granted by the FAS, not by the faculty of the Business School.
I also use POE and get no one. However, the choice C make more sense of correct than others. Do you have any approach with this kind of question. It takes me approximately 3 min.

by tuanquang269 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 am

Really nice job getting submitting your answers and explanations...Jaxis gave a particularly good explanation! Right on the money.

Official Explanation:

This is an Inference question, so the best approach is to eliminate those choices that could be false. This is a tricky question because it looks like they all could be false!!

Answer (A) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Similarly, answer (B) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Answer (D) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about what, if any, degrees other than the Ph.D the FAS can grant. Answer (E) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about the similarities or differences between the two programs except for the fact that the degrees are granted by two different sets of faculty. Answer (C) is the right choice because the "some" in the answer includes the possibility of "all" and, according to the passage, all students in the Ph.D. Program can only have their degrees granted by the FAS, not by the faculty of the Business School.
I also use POE and get no one. However, the choice C make more sense of correct than others. Do you have any approach with this kind of question. It takes me approximately 3 min.

by tuanquang269 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:43 am

Official Explanation:

by ArunangsuSahu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 pm
All and Some Theory

Right Choice is 'C'

by Ganesh hatwar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 am
DanaJ wrote:Source: Veritas Prep

Harvard University's business school has more than one graduate doctoral degree program. The DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) programs are administered by Harvard Business School and the Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) Programs are offered jointly with Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, which is part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). At Harvard, only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy.

Which of the following statements logically follows from the information above ?

(A) A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard.( Nothing mentioned about it before)

(B) Applicants to Harvard's joint Ph.D. Programs are not eligible for the Doctor of Business Administration programs.( yes it is true)

(C) Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School.( Inccorect)

(D) The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard can only grant the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree.( already mentioned)

(E) The fields of study in which students can pursue the DBA or a Ph.D. at Harvard Business School are similar but the degree requirements are distinct.( nothing said about this )

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by surmilsehgal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 am
answer is C

by mparakala » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 pm
Ans: C

A and B talk about acceptance into the school- Irrelevant!

D - "only'' is misplaced. it changes the meaning.

E - requirements? - Irrelevant!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by verbosity » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 am
Amongst the choices it boiled down to C or E.

C does appear to be the better of the two choices. However, my understanding of inference questions suggests that the 'Answer Must Be True'. The stimulus does not mention that 'Business Economics' is a specific area of study for the Ph.D program. Harvard may or may not offer that, but it may be logical to assume that Business Economics is a subset of Business. Also, the logical opposite of some is none, which means all the values from 1 to 100 (if you restrict the choices from 0 (none) to 100 (all)).

This one comes close to being a widow-maker for the cranium. Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 am
Very insightful comments verbosity. I would have two things to say, however...

1) "Some" does include "all". It does not seem that in normal usage that we mean to include all. For example, when we say "some people enjoy the GMAT" we seem to imply that some do not enjoy the GMAT (a true statement if ever there was one). If I say "some people have been President of the United States" this is true of course, since 44 people have had that title. Yet if I say "Some people breathe oxygen" this would also be a true statement, even though it includes everyone. The only thing that some excludes is "none." This is a very technical point. If I did not read your response correctly - if you did not exclude "all" from "some" - then I apologize.

2) I agree that stimulus does not mention "Business Economics Ph.D." specifically. But the stimulus does say that all Ph.D. degrees from Harvard are granted by the FAS and it must be true that the Business School does not award the Ph.D. - in Business Economics, or anything else.

Thanks for making such good technical points. Official GMAT questions usually do not rely on such technicalities! I usually only get such discussions with the LSAT.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ronny777 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 am
An overlooked program at Harbard Business School is the Harvard Doctor of Business Administration. In contrast to the "conventional" DBA programs the Harvard DBA is a research oriented degree and perceived as equivalent to the PhD.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vongochao » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 am
E.!

please noted: it's joint. and offer by FAS.

the the meaning of degree is the same, but the title is distinct. b/c of joining two of institue

by [email protected] » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 pm
As explained by rkanthilal, I was also thinking on the same line and came up with "C".

IMO "C".

by VyDinh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 pm
jaxis wrote:
(C) Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School.
(At Harvard, only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy. This means faculty of Harvard Business School Cannot confer the PH.D. So all PH.D students at harward will not have their degrees granted by Faculty of harward . All includes some so, this is the correct answer.)

TX
Ismail.
Thanks a lot. The explanation is very clear to me. I keep C as contender but go with E.

by VyDinh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 pm
vongochao wrote:E.!

please noted: it's joint. and offer by FAS.

the the meaning of degree is the same, but the title is distinct. b/c of joining two of institue
I go for E for the same reasoning. But the language in E is very strong, there maybe a different in study fields and therefore, this is not a Must be true answer.