This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Handling acceptance and expectation

by nfs1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 am
Hello:

I applied for two b-schools for fall'11 as follows -

1. UC Berkeley HAAS EWMBA - R3
2. UC Davis Part time MBA - R2

I received an acceptance from UC Davis and the school gave me till April 15th to accept the offer and send a check of $1500. I have not received any decision from HAAS yet. The application is under process. My first choice is definitely HAAS and I suspect before April 15th I might not get any decision from HAAS.

Please advice me what I can do the best?

Thanks & Regards,
Joydeep

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm
Hi Joydeep -

Congratulations on your acceptance to UC-Davis! Even if it is not your first choice program, it must be very reassuring to have one acceptance in hand.

Your best bet is to contact Haas and let them know of the situation, and emphasize that Haas is your first choice and where you want to go. But it may or may not work - usually they do not rush decisions based on individual request, but there is no harm in asking.

As a second choice you could contact UC Davis and ask for an extension. My personal preference is not to do this because I think it sends a negative impression to the school, but I know others disagree and I do know that this approach has worked for some people. And they are not going to revoke your acceptance because you ask.

The most likely scenario, however, is that you may have to pay and possibly forfeit the UC Davis deposit, if neither of the options above work.

Good luck!

Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php