Guidance needed

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Guidance needed

by chaitanyadawer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm
Sir/ Mam

I completed my Bachelors In Technology in Textile Processing in May 2010 and gave my GMAT in March 2011. I scored 760 and 5 in AWA. I am working with my father in the family business since May last year. I would like to know the impact of working in Family Business compared with that of Job on my application. Does it by any chance decrease my chances. I plan to apply for MBA in 2013.

Presently, I am supervising a green field project and working for my father. I am also responsible for making technological advances, whatever possible, in the company.
Do I need to do something differently here? How can I increase my chances by working in the family business?

regards
Chaitanya Dawer

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 pm
Congrats on your score.

Can you debrief your experience here?
https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-just-beat- ... t-f15.html
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

There is no issue with working for your father's company as long as it is clearly a legitimate company where you are playing a substantial role. It may help you too, in that it gives you more opportunity to demonstrate leadership and to have an impact. If you will be returning to that company after your MBA, that is something the schools like to see as well, in terms of their confidence that their graduates will have jobs. The biggest challenge when you apply will be letters of recommendation since your father cannot write one! Be sure to build relationships with clients or suppliers who are senior to you, or to do volunteer work outside where the organization's leader could write you a reference.

Good luck,

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php