Greenpoint, Brooklyn

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Greenpoint, Brooklyn

by paes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 pm
Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, there still are more Polish residents in Greenpoint, Brooklyn than in any neighborhood in the city.

A) same
B) Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city.
C) Greenpoint, Brooklyn. though currently undergoing rapid gentrification,more than any neighborhood in the city, still contains more Polish residents.
D) Though it is currently undergoing rapid gentrification, ,more Polish residents are contained in Greenpoint, Brooklyn than in any other neighborhood in the city.
E) Though it is currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the

[spoiler]OA after some discussions.
Why B is wrong, please explain.

Explanation is saying that B has wrong comparison.
But '
'I am taller than he' this is a right sentence. we can thin it like : I am taller than he [is].
Similarly
Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city.
we can think it -> Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city [ contains].

what's wrong here.[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by pnk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, there still are more Polish residents in Greenpoint, Brooklyn than in any neighborhood in the city.

B) Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city.
C) Greenpoint, Brooklyn. though currently undergoing rapid gentrification,more than any neighborhood in the city, still contains more Polish residents.

B has comparison problem. lets see MGMAT SC example:

eg: The cloths looked more appealing inside the store than on the racks outside (here, cloths coming b4 more...=> making it common for both kind of cloths. The phrase 'inside the store' coming after more appealing ..making it available for comparion with 'on the racks outside'. Note that comparion happening between same type of things...inside vs on the outside.

In B above "Greenpoint still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city" - polish residents comes after more...=> comparison happening between residents and neighbourhood city => illogical

[spoiler]IMO C - though it changes the original meaning (but I marked B while answering)[/spoiler]

Lets discuss

Legendary Member

by rockeyb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 pm
I marked E for this and here are my reasons .

Only two option do not have modifier issue and they are B and E . C is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence .

I choose E over B because we have a contrasting situation here

1. Greenpoint, Brooklyn is undergoing rapid construction

Yet

2.more Polish residents live than any other neighborhood in the city.

And this contrast is clearly stated by word THOUGH and I think is necessary also it works as a subordinator .

Another thing that struck me was "Brooklyn still contains" although I am not sure of this but a city is not a box or some thing that would contain people .

Well this is just my view and any comments are welcome .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm
Totally agree with rockeyb on this.

Well I too was confused between B and E, and in the end I picked B over E. But now I think correct answer is E.

Though it is currently undergoing rapid gentrification - is a Subordinate Clause.
Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the city - is a Main Clause.

Although both B and E are grammatically correct, B lacks a word representing the intended contrast. This reason makes E a clear winner.

Legendary Member

by paes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 pm
pnk wrote:Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, there still are more Polish residents in Greenpoint, Brooklyn than in any neighborhood in the city.

B has comparison problem. lets see MGMAT SC example:

eg: The cloths looked more appealing inside the store than on the racks outside (here, cloths coming b4 more...=> making it common for both kind of cloths. The phrase 'inside the store' coming after more appealing ..making it available for comparion with 'on the racks outside'. Note that comparion happening between same type of things...inside vs on the outside.

In B above "Greenpoint still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city" - polish residents comes after more...=> comparison happening between residents and neighbourhood city => illogical

[spoiler]IMO C - though it changes the original meaning (but I marked B while answering)[/spoiler]

Lets discuss

OA is E.
You have given a good example to explain B.
But see the following sentence
I am more intelligent than he.
I assume the above is a right sentence, but according to your explanation, we are comparing intelligent to he.
Can you explain this sentence with reference to your previous explanation.

Legendary Member

by paes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 pm
rockeyb wrote:I marked E for this and here are my reasons .

Only two option do not have modifier issue and they are B and E . C is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence .

I choose E over B because we have a contrasting situation here

1. Greenpoint, Brooklyn is undergoing rapid construction

Yet

2.more Polish residents live than any other neighborhood in the city.

And this contrast is clearly stated by word THOUGH and I think is necessary also it works as a subordinator .

Another thing that struck me was "Brooklyn still contains" although I am not sure of this but a city is not a box or some thing that would contain people .

Well this is just my view and any comments are welcome .
Thanks Rockey.
OA is E. But the given explanation is not what you have given.
Between B and E
The source is saying that B has wrong comparison, so it is wrong.
Do you see a wrong comparison here? See my above post, to pnk, for explanation.

Legendary Member

by rockeyb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 pm
paes wrote: Thanks Rockey.
OA is E. But the given explanation is not what you have given.
Between B and E
The source is saying that B has wrong comparison, so it is wrong.
Do you see a wrong comparison here? See my above post, to pnk, for explanation.
You are welcome mate .

As far as your doubt is concerned . Yes the explanation is correct . We have a clear ambiguity when we say "I am more intelligent than he" .

Now you would say what is wrong here ?

Well the sentence above has two meanings :

1. You are comparing both your and your friends intelligence .

2. You are comparing yourself with your friend .

Lets see another example .

I like cheese more then John.

Now this sentence too has two meaning .

1. I like cheese more than I like John.

2.I like cheese more than John dose .

See the difference ......

Similarly in the sentence above Brooklyn may be compared directly with other neighborhoods in the city OR we can compare how many people live in Brooklyn to people living in other neighborhoods .

Hope this helps .

by pnk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm

E) Though it is currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the city

B: GB contains more residents than any neighborhood in the city => could mean both (1) GB contains residents more than GB contains any neighborhood in the city or (2) GB contains residents more than any neighhod contains => AMBIGUOUS

E: GB is home to more residents than any other neighborhood in the city =>Cud mean both (1) GB is home to residents more than GB is home to any other neighborhood in the city or (2) GB is home to residents more than any neighbod in city is home to => AMBIGUOUS

I do not find any difference in comparion between B & E - both ambiguous 0. Can you pls correct me.

I am more intelligent than he - for me its ambiguous comparison between intelligent and he. Correct: I am more intelligent than he is (avoids ambiguity)
a) I am intelligent more than He is
b) I am intelligent than he

I like cheese more then John. (its slightly different from I am more intelligent than he example....in that 'phrase' being compared comes before more than...while in I am more intelligent....intelligent comes after 'more')

Its an interesting discussion - lets share our thoughts0

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bvn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:05 am
IMO E is correct

Though makes the difference

Legendary Member

by rockeyb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 am
pnk wrote:B) Currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city.

E) Though it is currently undergoing rapid gentrification, Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the city

B: GB contains more residents than any neighborhood in the city => could mean both (1) GB contains residents more than GB contains any neighborhood in the city or (2) GB contains residents more than any neighhod contains => AMBIGUOUS

E: GB is home to more residents than any other neighborhood in the city =>Cud mean both (1) GB is home to residents more than GB is home to any other neighborhood in the city or (2) GB is home to residents more than any neighbod in city is home to => AMBIGUOUS

I do not find any difference in comparion between B & E - both ambiguous 0. Can you pls correct me.

I am more intelligent than he - for me its ambiguous comparison between intelligent and he. Correct: I am more intelligent than he is (avoids ambiguity)
a) I am intelligent more than He is
b) I am intelligent than he

I like cheese more then John. (its slightly different from I am more intelligent than he example....in that 'phrase' being compared comes before more than...while in I am more intelligent....intelligent comes after 'more')

Its an interesting discussion - lets share our thoughts0
Mate ,

The second point that you said in option E . I think the comparison is very clear here .

If you can please look at MGMAT SC book chapter 8 page 129 I took the example from there . It explain better . May be I am not able to explain it clearly enough .

Do let me know your thoughts .

by ansh.kumar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:10 am
my pick is ^E ^for this, in B we have Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city. it means ANY NEIGHBOURHOOD, IT DOES INCLUDES (BROOKLYN) ALSO,BUT ALL WE KNOWTHAT BROKLYN HAS MORE POLISH RESIDENTS THAN ANY OTHER................... SO IN ORDER TO CORRECT THIS WE SHUD WRITE ANY OTHER. (EXCEPT BROKLYN).
THNKS

Legendary Member

by paes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 am
I think Ansh has given the right explanation.

Both B and E are comparing the same way. But as Ansh stated, E is better than B.

by pnk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:32 am
I reviewed the books and feel that I was wrong ealier. Pls find my modified interpretation:

Could mean - (1) Greenpoint, Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city (meaning GB contains more Polish than it contains neighborhood => it can be possible...GB can have 1000 polish residents but only 10 neighborhood; (2) Greenpoint, Brooklyn still contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city [contains] => GB has more polish residents than any neighborhood has (contains is silent...but can stand for neighborhood

In 1 - neighborhood is the 'object of the verb contains' and in 2 - neighorhood is the subject of the verb contains

both 1 & 2 possible => ambiguous. Had the sentence been Greenpoint, Brooklyn sill contains more Polish residents than any neighborhood in the city does => ambiguity would hv been removed and only 2 is possible

could mean - (1) Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the city => GB is home to more polish than GB is home to neighborhood => but such a senario will be absurd...as 'neighborhood' can't be home to GB....=> so (1) is not possible . This scenario is something like "Vishal eats more carrots than donuts (Right); Vishal eats more carrots than he does donuts (Wrong because donuts can't eat carrots)"

(2) Greenpoint, Brooklyn is still home to more Polish residents than any other neighborhood in the city [is] => neighborhood 'subject'...'is' is silent...quite correct to avoid wordiness

In E only (2) is possible => no ambiguity

E correct; Though suborinate and main clause reasonsing of earlier posters were much better.
For comparison knowledge, would appreciate if btgers give their comments on my this post