Greatest English detective

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Greatest English detective

by suchoudh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:33 am
John thinks Miss Marple, heroine of Agatha Christie's murder mystery novels, to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction.

A. to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction

B. deserve the title of the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes, with his famous pipe, epitomize the symbol of British deduction

C. to be the definite English detective, but Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe is the symbol of British deduction

D. embodies the very essence and spirit of English detectives whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize the symbol of British deduction

E. is the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize British deduction

Please explain your answers, OA later.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 am
IMO D.

I would like to know the source before detailing out the errors.
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:57 am
IMo C
A) not llel
b),d) and e) s+v error
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working

Legendary Member

by niksworth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 am
thephoenix wrote:IMo C
A) not llel
b),d) and e) s+v error
@thephoenix,

What is the SVA error which you found in D?
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member

by thephoenix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 am
niksworth wrote:
A) not llel
b),d) and e) s+v error
@thephoenix,

in D epitomize a plural verb is used for sherlok homes a singular subject
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working

Legendary Member

by niksworth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am
thephoenix wrote:
niksworth wrote:
A) not llel
b),d) and e) s+v error
@thephoenix,

in D epitomize a plural verb is used for sherlok homes a singular subject
Actually epitomize, a plural verb, is in agreement with Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe, a compound subject.
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member

by thephoenix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am
niksworth wrote: Actually epitomize, a plural verb, is in agreement with Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe, a compound subject.
yeah true..but there is an exception to this rule if the noun phrases joined by the compound refer to one and the sme person or thing then the verb is singular.....

imo the above rule holds here.....

i might be wrong..
let us c whats the oa

by anantbhatia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:23 am
By POE [spoiler](E)[/spoiler]

(A) think X to be.. is unidiomatic
(B) Miss Maple deserve... is wrong verb
(C) same as A
(D) wordy + redundant use of words
(E) my choice :)

Legendary Member

by niksworth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:26 am
thephoenix wrote: yeah true..but there is an exception to this rule if the noun phrases joined by the compound refer to one and the sme person or thing then the verb is singular.....

i might be wrong..
let us c whats the oa
Hmmm, I don't think that applies here.

These 2 things, Sherlock Holmes and his pipe, together epitomize the symbol of British deduction.

By the way, C uses definite incorrectly. The correct adjective is definitive. Also, the two parts lack parallelism.

Anyways, @suchoudh please provide the OA and the source.
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 am
D is good here. Good question though, Source and OA please
suchoudh wrote:John thinks Miss Marple, heroine of Agatha Christie's murder mystery novels, to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction.

A. to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction - Need working verb and not 'to be'. 'Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe' plural nedd 'epitomize' and not 'epitomizes', eliminate

B. deserve the title of the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes, with his famous pipe, epitomize the symbol of British deduction - need 'deserves' and not 'deserve'. 'Sherlock Holmes' singular 'epitomize' plural, eliminate

C. to be the definite English detective, but Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe is the symbol of British deduction - Same as A. We need 'are' and not 'is', eliminate

D. embodies the very essence and spirit of English detectives whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize the symbol of British deduction - Correct

E. is the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize British deduction - Not parallel, eliminate

Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 am
Can you please shed some light on this rule. I am learning some thing new. Examples will be helpful
thephoenix wrote:
niksworth wrote: Actually epitomize, a plural verb, is in agreement with Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe, a compound subject.
yeah true..but there is an exception to this rule if the noun phrases joined by the compound refer to one and the sme person or thing then the verb is singular.....

i might be wrong..
let us c whats the oa
Sudhanshu

by suchoudh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm
OA is E. The question is taken from MasterGMAT. However, I think E is not parallel and that's the reason I am posting this here.

GMAT Score:770

by abhi84v » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 pm
I think E is correct as the OA here.

Epitomizes means symbolises so epitomize the symbol is unnecessarily wordy similar to a decreased redution or higher increase etc.

What is the OE for rejecting D?
Never give up on the beast my friend, never give up!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:21 am
suchoudh wrote:John thinks Miss Marple, heroine of Agatha Christie's murder mystery novels, to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction.

A. to be the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomizes the symbol of British deduction

B. deserve the title of the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes, with his famous pipe, epitomize the symbol of British deduction

C. to be the definite English detective, but Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe is the symbol of British deduction

D. embodies the very essence and spirit of English detectives whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize the symbol of British deduction

E. is the definitive English detective whereas Jane thinks Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe epitomize British deduction

Quickest approach:
In A, epitomizes should be plural to match the compound subject Sherlock Holmes and and his famous pipe. For this same reason, is should plural in answer choice C. Eliminate A and C.

In B, epitomize should be singular to match the singular subject Sherlock Holmes. (The phrase with his famous pipe is a modifier and is not part of the subject.) Eliminate B.

In D, Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe are two things; they cannot epitomize one symbol. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:35 am
Thanks, I don't know what is 'epitomize' is. Therefore, got trapped. As per the MS word 'epitomize' means 'specify'
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Quickest approach:
In A, epitomizes should be plural to match the compound subject Sherlock Holmes and and his famous pipe. For this same reason, is should plural in answer choice C. Eliminate A and C.

In B, epitomize should be singular to match the singular subject Sherlock Holmes. (The phrase with his famous pipe is a modifier and is not part of the subject.) Eliminate B.

In D, Sherlock Holmes and his famous pipe are two things; they cannot epitomize one symbol. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Sudhanshu