GPREP SC- 11

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GPREP SC- 11

by abhasjha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was found in North America.

(A) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
(B) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types that were previously

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 pm
abhasjha wrote:A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was found in North America.

(A) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
(B) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types that were previously
In A and B, it is not crystal clear whether they refers to fossils or to dinosaurs.
Since the remaining answer choices avoid this ambiguity, eliminate A and B.

C: fossils older than any similar dinosaur types
E: fossils older than similar dinosaur types
Here, FOSSILS are compared to DINOSAUR TYPES -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 pm
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously - correct