• PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

Go Ahead and Accept at Backup School as you Wait for #1?

This topic has 2 member replies
gtg279v Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
01 Jun 2012
Posted:
33 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
4
Test Date:
11/24/2012
Target GMAT Score:
660
GMAT Score:
700

Go Ahead and Accept at Backup School as you Wait for #1?

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 am
So I'm waiting for UT-Houston MBAP to provide a decision. I do not want to rush them.

What are the repercussions of accepting at my back up school if I later change my mind after being accepted to my #1 choice of school?

If this is generally viewed as unacceptable, how else should we deal with deadlines?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
MBAAdmissionsCoach Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Joined
06 Apr 2013
Posted:
59 messages
Followed by:
8 members
Upvotes:
10
Top Reply
Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 am
I recommend that you contact the school where you have admission and ask if you can have an extension because you are waiting to hear from another school.

Then, contact UT-Houston to ask when you can expect to hear a decision. My experience with them is that they won't speed up the decision, but you can let them know that you have another admission offer with a deadline of X, and that they are your first choice.

Remember - this is all a business transaction. Take the actions that make the best sense for the business of YOU!

Good luck!

Wendy

_________________
I love to talk about MBA admissions with MBA applicants! If you find my posts helpful, please take a moment to click the "thank" icon at the top of the page and/or follow me!


Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
wendylflynn89@gmail.com
http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com

Blog: MBA Expert Insights: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com/blog

Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach

Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn

Member of AIGAC: Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Bschool2013 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
24 Sep 2011
Posted:
105 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
21
GMAT Score:
700
Top Reply
Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:16 am
gtg279v wrote:
So I'm waiting for UT-Houston MBAP to provide a decision. I do not want to rush them.

What are the repercussions of accepting at my back up school if I later change my mind after being accepted to my #1 choice of school?

If this is generally viewed as unacceptable, how else should we deal with deadlines?
If you don't want to lose your seat at the back-up school, put down a deposit. If UT-Houston comes through, it's completely acceptable to back out of the commitment to the first school and simply forfeit the deposit paid. This happens all the time, and schools know it, which is why they keep a waitlist.

Good Luck!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 120 topics
2 ardz24 65 topics
3 LUANDATO 63 topics
4 swerve 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

186 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

171 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

147 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

128 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts