GMATPrep - weaken (error in AC?)

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

GMATPrep - weaken (error in AC?)

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:27 am
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The average numbers of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available

OA is B;sounds pausible but not enough in that GMAT provides a neat correct answer choice.

B is not correct in my opinion because even if it is true, eventually conclusion will be met , though delayed. So this is not a good answer choice in my opinion.

Expert comments please.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by M09 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The average numbers of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available

OA is B;sounds pausible but not enough in that GMAT provides a neat correct answer choice.

B is not correct in my opinion because even if it is true, eventually conclusion will be met , though delayed. So this is not a good answer choice in my opinion.

Expert comments please.
Apart from optionB none of the other choices affect the conclusion
Con: number of K.. entering the job market will increase
P: Number of K.. enrolled in college has be growing
Assumption : is the with rate they are enrolling they will graduate at the same rate.
However, B negates the assumption. And thats what we are looking for

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 pm
If it takes longer for students to complete their degree, then a larger number of people enrolled in college does not mean that the number of students graduating per year will increase. For example, if the average time enrolled has increased from 4 to 6 years, only 1/6 of the student body will graduate in any given year, not 1/4, as used to be the case
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm
kevincanspain wrote:If it takes longer for students to complete their degree, then a larger number of people enrolled in college does not mean that the number of students graduating per year will increase. For example, if the average time enrolled has increased from 4 to 6 years, only 1/6 of the student body will graduate in any given year, not 1/4, as used to be the case
agreed; you gave more tonic to argument :). but this still, in my opinion, is not enough because eventually these poor students :) wil pass out and wont remain forever. May be i have over analysed the argument :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pagalmes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:
kevincanspain wrote:If it takes longer for students to complete their degree, then a larger number of people enrolled in college does not mean that the number of students graduating per year will increase. For example, if the average time enrolled has increased from 4 to 6 years, only 1/6 of the student body will graduate in any given year, not 1/4, as used to be the case
agreed; you gave more tonic to argument :). but this still, in my opinion, is not enough because eventually these poor students :) wil pass out and wont remain forever. May be i have over analysed the argument :(
It took me some time to understand the subtleties of this question. Thank-you kevincanspain, your post that really helped me.

GMATMadeEasy, I just bolded the words that I hope will help you to convince yourself ;-)
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled (this means currenly studying) in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.
Notice the word "entering" wich is different from "being" on the job market.

I hope this helps.

BTW, also check this post:
https://press.www.beatthegmat.com/kravonia-t53104.html

by kapilhede17 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm
GMATMadeEasy ,
You need to differentiate between the 1)"nummber of students enrolling per year" and 2) the (total) number of students who are enrolled in the school.
If it were the former , your resoning would hold true ... because it can be visualised as a pipeline .. no matter how long the pipe .. rate in = rate out .
but here we are talking about enrollment in total so if it were spread obver a larger number of classes .. then per yr the number of students coming out might not change , increase/ decrease.

Followed by:2 members

by ananthrajavadhuta » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:46 am