GMATPrep - Interesting Modifier Question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
One automobile manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades.

A: amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing
B: amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and it would represent
C: an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and it would represent
D: an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and would represent
E: which is an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, representing

OA - C

I will let you guys solve this one and then will post my doubt after some discussion.

BTW origin of the word "thank"
- from Old English thancian;
- akin to Old English thanc gratitude

Followed by:1 members

by eastcoastrocks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:52 pm
I could not get to the correct answer. I marked choice E as the correct one, even though I was little doubtful about it. But I felt that all A through D were modifying the preceding clause and hence are incorrect. We need something to modify the 25% increase and so thought that choice E with "which" is the only one doing that...But I knew that there is that 5 years and which will not be appropriate...

Certainly a good one...Definitely need some help here.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by need720+ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:10 pm
priya2gupta5 wrote:One automobile manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades.

C: an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and it would represent
D: an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and would represent
E: which is an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, representing

OA - C

I will let you guys solve this one and then will post my doubt after some discussion.

Hey.. Please re-check OA.
C is a run-on sentence. To correct it, a comma before 'it' is required in C.
IMO D should be OA

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by BlindVision » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 pm
priya2gupta5 wrote:One automobile manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades.

OA - C

Went with D
Life is a Test

by quesarasara » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 am
Yes I also think that the answer is D. But I am not what this modifier is modifying.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 am
D makes life easy here.
C is run on.
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shankarh2011 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:35 am
Looking at the choices , it seems Choice D is the correct answer as per my opinion
A - Ambiguous modifier
B - Parallelism error
C - "and it would" Redundant Info
D - Seems right
E - Seems incorrect, since doesnt look right while reading . Automobile manufacture plans to increase something,adjective clause ,representing something.... not too sure

Whats the OA

by priya2gupta5 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am
Sorry guys...the OA is D. Its not C.

Now here comes my doubt...
I could get to the correct answer - D. But I have some confusion about the modifiers.

I thought that choice E is incorrect because which - noun modifier modifies years. But why is choice D correct. Isn't "an increase, ......" also a noun modifier. So should it not modify 'years'. So do we not have placement issues with the modifier in this choice too.

I am just trying to understand the correct structure of the sentence...I am not questioning the OA at all...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 am
The modifier in choices C and D is not a noun modifier. This "noun + noun modifier" in this sentence modifies the idea of increase presented in the preceding clause. Note that it is not a noun modifier in this sentence. It modifies the preceding clause - an idea presented in the preceding clause.

You may read more about such modifiers at this blog post.

Payal

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members
GMAT Score:780

by SticklorForDetails » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 am
The modification in (C) and (D) is called a "summative modifier." The first noun, in this case "an increase," summarizes the entire sentence before it, and then can be further modified by the adjective clause "that would..." following it. The concept is very similar to an Appositive, only an appositive, set off by commas, refers only to the noun right before it, whereas a summative modifier, also set off by commas, refers to the entire sentence before it. The only way to tell the difference is through context. It is weird but it s VERY acceptable and often the only way to fix a dangling or ambiguous modifier error.

Generally speaking, the summative modifier is used when the thing you want to modify isn't even in the sentence as a noun, but as an implicit idea or even a verb. Here, the "increase" is only mentioned as an infinitive, which can't be modified by any kind of adjective clause. Thus the noun "increase" summarizes the clause before it and gives us something to modify.

Another example:

"BeatTheGMAT provides us with a forum to share our concerns and receive advice from GMAT experts, a service that is highly valued by all of us trying to get into business school."

Here "a service" is a summative modifier, placed after a comma and describing the entire clause before it; that way, there is a noun for us to "highly value" instead of just the verb-idea of what BTG provides us!
Experienced tutors, customized study plans, personalized service.

www.GothamTutors.com/adam.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm

A present participle (such as amounting in A and B) preceded by a comma refers to the subject of the previous clause. In A and B, the subject of the preceding clause is one automobile manufacturer. Since the manufacturer is not amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, eliminate A and B.

In E, is should not be in the present tense.
The increase is to happen over the next five years (in the future).
Thus, the sentence cannot say which IS an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon (in the present).
Eliminate E.

The only difference between C and D is the use of it in C. Since the use of it is unnecessary, eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.

I don't quite agree that an increase (in C and D) is a summative modifier. I would argue that an increase is an appositive for 25 percent.

Two nouns (or noun phrases) are in apposition when they appear side by side, with one noun serving to explain or define the other. Since 25 percent is an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon -- and the two noun structures appear side by side -- an increase is an appositive for 25 percent.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by priya2gupta5 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm
Wow, three experts responded to my question!!! Yeah...Today is my lucky day...

I was comforted after reading opinions of e-GMAT & SticklorForDetail - the modifier in question is modifying the preceding clause - some portion of it. But after I read GMATNYGuru's response, I am confused again. If these are indeed noun modifiers, then how come "which" modifier is incorrect - which is also a noun modifier. Why can which not modify the preceding noun - 25% increase over next 5 years.

In fact I found another instance of same question on MGMAT forums and found that Ron's response is also in line with the first two experts'. Please resolve this apparent discrepancy...

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... 62-15.html

Thanks,

Priya

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:55 pm
priya2gupta5 wrote:Wow, three experts responded to my question!!! Yeah...Today is my lucky day...

I was comforted after reading opinions of e-GMAT & SticklorForDetail - the modifier in question is modifying the preceding clause - some portion of it. But after I read GMATNYGuru's response, I am confused again. If these are indeed noun modifiers, then how come "which" modifier is incorrect - which is also a noun modifier. Why can which not modify the preceding noun - 25% increase over next 5 years.

In fact I found another instance of same question on MGMAT forums and found that Ron's response is also in line with the first two experts'. Please resolve this apparent discrepancy...

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... 62-15.html

Thanks,

Priya
In E, the primary issue -- discussed in my amended post above -- is tense.
Thus, the sentence cannot say which IS an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon (in the present).
Eliminate E.

In C and D, whether an increase is an appositive or a summative modifier is splitting hairs. Our only concern: do we know what an increase refers to? Yes: the automobile manufacturer plans to increase the fuel efficiency by 25 percent over the next five years. Since it's clear what an increase refers to, the noun modifier is being used correctly.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A present participle (such as amounting in A and B) preceded by a comma refers to the subject of the previous clause. In A and B, the subject of the preceding clause is one automobile manufacturer. Since the manufacturer is not amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, eliminate A and B.

In E, the verb is should not be in the present tense. Since the increase will be taking place over the next five years, the sentence cannot say that 25 percent is-- in the present -- an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon. Eliminate E.

The only difference between C and D is the use of it in C. Since the use of it is unnecessary, eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.

I don't quite agree that an increase (in C and D) is a summative modifier. I would argue that an increase is an appositive for 25 percent.

Two nouns (or noun phrases) are in apposition when they appear side by side, with one noun serving to explain or define the other. Since 25 percent is an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon -- and the two noun structures appear side by side -- an increase is an appositive for 25 percent.
COMMA DOING after main clause and DOING PHRASE COMMA before main clause is better understood to be adverbial which modify total main clause but, though it is an adverbial, which must be placed logically relative to noun as subject of main clause.

COMMA DOING appear a lot on gmat and novel and other academic reading. However, in general grammar books, no detail explanation of its role is given. The best way for us now is to understand it the way I said above and dont worry about whether it is adjective or adverb phrase.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by iongmat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: In E, the primary issue -- discussed in my amended post above -- is tense.
Eliminate E.

Hi GMATGuruNY, I doubt that "is" is the reason why E is not correct. Let us say:

Current fuel efficiency = 20 miles/gallon

The plan over the next five years is to increase it to 25 miles/gallon

Doing some quick calculation, 25 miles/gallon is 25% more than 20 miles/gallon.

The issue with E is the modifier "which", which is quite "far" from "25 percent", the noun it logically modifies. So, following would have been correct:

One automobile manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles over the next five years by 25 percent, which is an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and represents the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades. [/u]