GMAT Success

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT Success

by Mr.Rick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 am
Overall, I would classify my studies for the GMAT as a success. I was able to improve from 620 on my first MGMAT practice exam to a 750 on the final exam. The road was a bit bumpy, but I was able to overcome. Here are some pieces of advice that I will share:

1)Sign up for the test. This will motivate you to carve out time from your schedule.
2)Set aside time to study. I moved my studies to happen before work. My mind was fresh and, even though it only lasted 1-1.5 hrs, I found that my time was better spent in the morning than the afternoon.
3)Take a class or purchase an online subscription. I used GMATPill. I was not able to take a class due to my rural location. It worked well for me and I would strongly recommend it.
4)If you are having issues with SC, please consider using Aristotle SC. I found this book to be most beneficial to my studies.
5)Build your endurance. The test is a marathon. Do practice questions in 75 minute intervals.
6)Don't be afraid to take the exam again. My performance on my first exam was satisfactory (700), but my nervousness got to me. As such, the second time around I was far more confident.
7)Have an optimistic attitude. Always think to work faster and to be focused.
8)Pray.
9)Don't cancel your test! Do not even consider doing this. I was very close to cancelling my second exam.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by red217 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am
Congrats Mr. Rick!!!

Can you please elaborate your experience with the GMAT Pill.
I have been looking into options but i guess the more the choices the more confuse you get.
I am also looking into Economist , gmat prep now and knewton besides gmat pill.

thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Mr.Rick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 pm
Thanks, red217!

I looked at a few options before deciding to go with GMAT Pill. I was drawn to GMAT Pill's affordability, usability, and question bank. I found its explanations to be very digestible and understandable. Additionally, I thought the verbal sections of the website were great, but the quant section needed improvement.

Best of luck,
Mr.Rick

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by resolehtmai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:17 pm
congrats Rick.
please answer my queries
1) what was your split?
2) what resources did you use for RC and CR?
3) what about IR?
4) what schools are you planning to apply to?
5) particularly how do you approach an RC question? whats the thought process?