GMAT prep score 670; original Gmat Score 530 ( Q-48, V-16)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just taken GMAT , but my verbal score was disaster-16; I took Princeton review's all 5 CATs scored in the range of 670-680, took KAPLAN free CAT scored 630, Veritas free CAT -640, Platinum GMAT -680, Grockit CATs-650 ;after doing the preparation I never scored below 27 in Verbal but I didn't know what actually went wrong in real GMAT.My first question was SC but not confidant with my answer and spent a bit more time in first few questions ;after that all seems to OK in rest of the verbal part except last 4-5 questions which I guessed because of lack of time.
To say about my preparation ,I have done OG-12, Verbal Rivew book from GMAC many times , took Princeton Review Course.
I'm planning to retake Please suggest books or any course for Verbal....Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:27 pm
Sad to hear the score. The penalty for doing silly mistakes is sever in GMAT. This applies more to verbal than quant. You might have marked some 200 level questions wrong and from that point on, you were always trying to prove the computer that you are a better test taker than that. Idea is to understand the basic rules and mark them confidently. Otherwise it's a game of luck.

Go through Manhattan SC thoroughly, analyze all the questions from OG atleast twice. All the best.
My journey towards the MBA: https://theroadlesstravellled.blocked/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jeffau524 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 am
I do feel you that way. I took my GMAT today and got a 560, which has a verbal score of 23. I kind of surfing posts by fellow gmat test takers in this forum and found that Aman in another post recommend e-gmat for SC section. By simply looking at the content for the website, it looks like it has a positive feedback on improving the accuracy on SC section. Will try it tomorrow and let you know if that helps. :D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ronaldramlan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 am
There are a number of things that you need to examine as you analyze your result.

First, during your practice tests, did you do the essays before going to Quant section?

Second, was your poor performance a result of a lack of mastery on the concepts and strategy, or a lack of practice?

You may want to look into the following post in which I explained my case and gave some hints.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-660-qua ... tml#399571

I hope this helps ... if not, don't hesitate to ask more