GMAT Prep SC

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT Prep SC

by bounce87 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:25 pm
For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native people of the Western Hemisphere.

A) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
B) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated.
C) devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated.
D) devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
E) the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Wouldn't the following sentence be more correct?

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify the devastation and enslavement that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere in the name of progress.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

Re: GMAT Prep SC

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:04 am
bounce87 wrote:Wouldn't the following sentence be more correct?

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify the devastation and enslavement that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere in the name of progress.
Here, in the name of progress is an adverb serving to modify have decimated, conveying that the act of DECIMATING was performed in the name of progress.

OA: For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
Here, in the name of progress is an ADJECTIVE serving to modify the devastation and enslavement, conveying that the DEVASTATION AND ENSLAVEMENT were performed in the name of progress.

Although the sentence in red is grammatically correct, it does not convey the intended meaning of the OA.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3