GMAT Prep 700+ level SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

GMAT Prep 700+ level SC

by dhonu121 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:54 pm
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy
feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275
gallons of milk each per year.
A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow
produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

OA:E

What's wrong with the original sentence ?
To me it seems to modify the farmers, yet being in parallel, providing/milking and correctly using the previously used pronoun them.

In E on the other hand, the underlined part is modifying cows, which was not what the original sentence intended.
Also, if that were the intention then to make it parallel to
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool,
the part in E should have been to provide and to milk.

Any help here pls.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:14 am
In answer a "providing(...) and milking them" modifies "the farmer." Therefore, in a sentence correct grammatically this clause should be placed near "the farmer". However, it is put between the verb "to keep them cool" and "Holstein cows." Therefore, it is incorrect. Also, this version is longer than answer E and thus redundant.

"Provided" and "milked" in answer e work as adjectives modifying the noun "cows". Thus the rule of parallelism is complied with - we have three adjectives grouped together "cool", "provided" and "milked."
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 am
How is cool parallel with provided and milked here ?
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 am
dhonu121 wrote:For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy
an average of 2,275
A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

To me it seems to modify the farmers, yet being in parallel, providing/milking and correctly using the previously used pronoun them.

In E on the other hand, the underlined part is modifying cows, which was not what the original sentence intended.

Any help here pls.
in B and D, them (plural) does not agree with the Holstein cow (singular). Eliminate B and D.

In C, provided and milking are not parallel. A conjunction such as and must connect PARALLEL FORMS. Eliminate C.

As for A:
COMMA + VERBing serves to indicate an action happening AT THE SAME TIME AS the action in the preceding clause. Typically, the VERBing action RESULTS FROM the preceding action. In A, providing them with feed and milking them regularly do not in any way depend on the preceding action (takes care to keep them cool): keeping the cows cool does not CAUSE the farmer to milk them regularly. Thus, A does not convey the intended meaning. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is E.

In E, the farmer takes care to keep the cows COOL, PROVIDED and MILKED.
Here, provided and milked serve as RESULTATIVE ADJECTIVES that are parallel with cool, the first resultative adjective in the list.

A resultative adjective follows the noun that it modifies and serves to indicate the RESULT of a preceding action.
John painted the room BLACK.
Here, the room is BLACK as the result of the preceding action (John PAINTED).

In E, the three resultative adjectives describe the cows.
For the farmer who TAKES CARE, what are the results?
The cows are kept COOL, PROVIDED WITH FEED, and MILKED REGULARLY.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:18 am
One of the keys here is recognizing that "milked" and "provided" are participles, not conjugated verbs.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm
It is important to remember that V-ing and V-ed often can be used as adjectives modifying nouns. That's exactly how the words "milked" and "provided" are used in answer E. Other similar examples are:
falling leaves
a broken heart
advanced students
increased activity
a concerned expression
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by en.mohitgupt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:24 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
dhonu121 wrote:For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy
an average of 2,275
producing
produces
producing

Any help here pls.
in B and D, them (plural) does not agree with the Holstein cow (singular). Eliminate B and D.

In C, provided and milking are not parallel. A conjunction such as and must connect PARALLEL FORMS. Eliminate C.

As for A:
COMMA + VERBing serves to indicate an action happening AT THE SAME TIME AS the action in the preceding clause. Typically, the VERBing action RESULTS FROM the preceding action. In A, providing them with feed and milking them regularly do not in any way depend on the preceding action (takes care to keep them cool): keeping the cows cool does not CAUSE the farmer to milk them regularly. Thus, A does not convey the intended meaning. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is E.

Here, provided and milked serve as RESULTATIVE ADJECTIVES that are parallel with cool, the first resultative adjective in the list.

A resultative adjective follows the noun that it modifies and serves to indicate the RESULT of a preceding action.

Thanks GMATGURU for your explanation

can you provide some question based on resultative adjective.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 am
en.mohitgupt wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
an average of 2,275
producing
produces
producing

Any help here pls.

As for A:

The correct answer is E.

Thanks GMATGURU for your explanation

can you provide some question based on resultative adjective.
Check my posts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-the-tradi ... 89-15.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by shekhar.kataria » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 am
Dear Experts

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy
feed, and milking them regularly
, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275

As mitch and others have pointed out that bolded portion to be a participle should a direct result of the earlier action. MY DOUBT IT SHOULD IT BE NECESSARY WHAT IF IT MODEIFIES THE WHOLE CLAUSE/ ACTION OF THE PREVIOUS CLAUSE.

Here the long modifier answers the question how the farmer took care therefore it modifies the last action.

Please help.

[/u]
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 am
shekhar.kataria wrote:Dear Experts

feed, and milking them regularly
, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275

As mitch and others have pointed out that bolded portion to be a participle should a direct result of the earlier action. MY DOUBT IT SHOULD IT BE NECESSARY WHAT IF IT MODEIFIES THE WHOLE CLAUSE/ ACTION OF THE PREVIOUS CLAUSE.

Here the long modifier answers the question how the farmer took care therefore it modifies the last action.

Please help.

[/u]
The preceding action is takes care to keep them cool.
TO KEEP THEM COOL is part of the preceding action.
Providing them with feed and milking them regularly do not result from a farmer who TAKES CARE TO KEEP THEM COOL.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am
an average of 2,275
producing
produces
producing

Any help here pls.
Whats the source of this question ? Are we supposed to know this concept ?
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks